Sportspy Reports – Sunday January 9th 2011

Over at a very cold Commonedge Road, Blackpool this morning watching the delayed Gledhill Cup Quarter Final between Bloomfield Vets FC and Fleetwood Gym FC.  Which of these two Division 1 sides would go through to the sem-final?

PlayFootball Logo - click to visit our website

Both of today's teams last kicked a ball in anger back on November 21st which is almost seven weeks ago.  Home side Bloomfield Vets currently lead Division 1 four points ahead of second placed Spindles and six points ahead of this morning's opponents, Fleetwood Gym.  However, the three sides below the Vets all have three games in hand.  The two league games between the sides have already been played with the points being shared as each of them took maximum points in their respective home fixtures. On current form, the Gym were slight favourites having won all of their previous five matches.  The Vets ended a run of four games without a win by securing a victory last time out.

The Vets have a decent record in this competitition and have made the semi-finals before in recent years.  Opponents Gym also have players with experience of doing well in this competition including previous winners.  All set then for an intriguing Cup tie.  A raw day at the edge with the temperature hovering about four degrees with the bitter wind cutting into the very depths of your soul.  It feels even windier now they've knocked down Pontins but at least it was dry and sunny with clear blue skies.  Pitch 1 was the venue which is on the line as to being described as dangerous thanks to the 'rugger buggers' continuing to train on it.  Full of potholes etc.  The referee for this tie was Alan Young and bang on 11am the game was underway with the Gym in the yellow defending the cricket club end playing against the strong wind.

Musical accompaniement

Bloomfield Vets FC 2010/11

Fleetwood Gym FC 2010/11

The Vets in the white get us underway

Referee Alan Young

Liam Forrest

Sean Slater

Andy Gouck (Left) and John Beavers argue a point with Mr Young

Lee Miles (Right)

On 20 minutes the deadlock was broken.  With the advantage of the wind it was unsurprisingly the Vets that enjoyed the best of the opening exchanges but it was the Gym who opened the scoring.  Mike Jenkinson picked up the ball just outside his own box.  He took the ball on through midfield and looked to have over run it but a half hearted challenge by a Vets player allowed him to a win a ball that was never his.  Jenkinson took advantage, ran the ball to the edge of the box and hit a cross come shot that was deflected past his own keeper by a Vet's defender.  A good effort from Jenkinson.  0-1

The Gym go close once again

On 25 minutes the Vets equalised.  A Vet's forward was adjudged to have been fouled just outside the area.  No surprises that Andy Gouck should take it and with the wind behind him he hit a sweet left footed strike into the top corner giving the keeper no hope. 1-1.

'What do you play??….we play the Dambusters'

Vet's keeper

Stuart Parker

Half time score :  Bloomfield Vets FC 1 -1 Fleetwood Gym FC

Slater motivates the troops during the interval

Fleetwood Gym supporter JJ

and 'nearly' seven year old Callum keeping warm

Fleetwood Gym start the second half

Parker gets a yellow card for dissent

Second half substitute Robbie Boal makes his entrance

Boal and Gouck giving it 100% going for the ball.

A good midfield battle

On 72 minutes, the Gym took the lead for the second time in the game.  A long throw from John Wilson found the head of the unmarked Danny Smith and he headed it into the net off the underside of the bar.  Poor defending.  1-2

Two minutes later and Parker was hauled down by the keeper after dinking it over his head – nailed on penalty.

A good effort from the Vet's keeper but Liam Forrest scored with a clinical spot kick into the bottom corner.  1-3

A minute later and John Beavers scored the best goal of the game.  He collected three yards outside the Vets box, put it onto his right foot and smashed an unstoppable drive into the bottom corner.  The keeper never moved.  1-4

At the other end the Vets had a golden opportunity to pull one back but Steve Hughes (8) elected to go for his right foot and horribly screwed the ball wide with an open goal before him.  FORE!

On 84 minutes, John Beavers scored his second and the Gym's fifth.  He was given far too much time to turn and fire a shot from the edge of the box which took a fortunate deflection off a divot and looped agonisingly over the keeeper.  1-5

There was nothing he could have done about that one.

Minutes later and referee Young put the Vets out of their misery.

Full time score : Bloomfield Vets 1 – 5 Fleetwood Gym FC

The wind was always going to play its part in this fixture and with the teams turning around at 1-1 the Vets were always going to be up against it in the second half and so it proved.  Fleetwood Gym fully deserved the victory and they played some good stuff in the second half despite the conditions.  The Vets imploded in a five minute spell when the game went from 1-1 to 1-4.  Uncharacteristically, the Vets gave three poor goals away today due to shaky defending but to be fair, they created few chances of note at the other end.  I'm sure that these two sides will be in the mix for promotion places come late April.  The Gym have some quality players with bags of experience and they'll be a challenge for any side that draws them out of the hat in the semi-final.  Well officiated by Mr Young.

Sportspy 2010/11

PlayFootball Logo - click to visit our website

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.