Sportspy Reports – Sunday October 31st 2010

The first visit of the season to Cottam Hall where BFSFA Premier Division side Poulton SFC were hosting Bolton Sunday league champions Farnworth Canary FC in Round 3 of this season's Lancashire Sunday Trophy.

PlayFootball Logo - click to visit our website

BFSFA side Poulton SFC were at home this morning against Bolton side Farnworth Canary FC.  Despite a trawl through Google I was unable to locate any current information of note about the visitors but they were crowned Champions of the Bolton & District Sunday league last season.  This morning the Premier Division league table had Poulton in sixth position after gaining four wins and suffering two losses.  On a positive note they were only six points behind current leaders Gardeners Arms FC with two games in hand.  Following a first Round bye in this season's Gledhill Cup the holders are still to concede a goal after beating Division 4 side CBFC Choices Furniture FC 9-0 in Round 2 before impressively dumping out Premier Division rivals Blackpool Rangers FC 5-0 in Round 3.  Next week, they're looking to win a place in the last eight in their Round 4 tie away at Blackpool Catholic Club FC.

Optimum autumn conditions, calm and mild up at Cottam Hall, Poulton this morning.  Today's official was Dave Connor and at 11:05am the visitors kicked off in the white kit playing towards the changing block. It was disappointing to note that a veteran's match had taken priority on the West Lancs pitch so we the game was played on the postage stamp by the railway.

Poulton SFC 2010/11

'Heads or tails'…..Farnworth kick off

Stuart Armer back fit after breaking his ankle

Poulton SFC keeper Andy Speight

Referee Dave Connor

There was some dispute as to the awarding of a throw

Poulton SFC manager Alan Cocker has been called a lot worse than that

A good leap from home skipper Chris Morris

On 26 minutes Poulton took the lead following a quick counter attack.  Quick passes between Armer, Thompson N, Eastwood and Danny Morris led to the latter slotting it home at the far post.  1-0. Things had been pretty even up until that point with the visitors having a shade more possession in the centre of midfield.

Carl 'Shorn' Eastwood

On 36 minutes Farnworth were rightly awarded a penalty when Armour dived in and brought down Sammy but with the perfect opportunity to level things up the spot kick was blasted high, hit the top of the bar and ballooned away to safety.  A let off for Poulton

Farnworth Canary FC's stand-in keeper

Half time score :  Poulton SFC 1 – 0 Farnworth Canary FC

Half time refreshment for midfielder Curtis

Farnworth supporter Jay making the long Sunday morning trip to support the lads

Poulton start the second half

Danny Morris (Right)

Farnworth started the half much the brighter and should have levelled five minutes in.  The No9 looks set to bury it in the above picture but despite getting a decent contact, keeper Speight hurled himself across goal to deflect it away for a corner.  The corner kick bounced off the foot of the post and Poulton scrambled it away.

Lucky boy

But on the whole, Speighty was '1st class' today…….geddit?


Farnworth manager and liner

On 63 minutes we had counter attack 2.  A long kick from Speight deceived the left back and in the above picture Danny Morris took it on and made no mistake for his second.  2-0

On 75 minutes it was 3-0.  The left back stayed arguing with Guy Sharrock, as he did so Sharrock took a throw-in over his head and the unmarked Eastwood ran through to bang it home.  3-0

'Bugger…three nowt down, time for another can and a fag'

81 minutes and it was 4-0.  Eastwood's strength took him through, he shrugged off a couple of tough challenges before taking the chance and finishing off the visitors. 

With only two minutes remaining substitutes Adam Kennerly and Lee Catlow interchanged well on the edge of the box and Kennerly swept it home from the right across the keeper.  5-0

Adam Kennerly (Left) and Guy Sharrock

The whistle goes and Poulton are through to Round 4

Final score :  Poulton SFC 5 – 0 Farnworth Canary FC

In summary this was a cracking Cup tie up until the second goal went in.  If anything, Farnworth were the better side in the first half creating lots of offensive possesion whilst restricting the home side to counter attacks.  Despite going a goal behind from a well worked Poulton move, Farnworth had two excelent chances to level things up and take the initiative but due to the missed penalty and the Speight save the chances went away.  When you reach Round 3 there are no easy games and you have to take your chances.  For the rest of the match, a solid defensive performance, especially from centre halves Morris C and Sharrock A combined with some shaky defending down the right hand side resulted in Poulton running out convincing winners.  Farnworth were certainly unlucky not to score but Poulton's clinical finishing in front of goal on the counter attack deservedly put them through.  Good luck to them in the next Round.  The best refereeing performance from Mr Connor that I've witnessed.  It would have been the easy option to get the cards out but he kept them in his pocket throughout.

Sportspy 2010/11

PlayFootball Logo - click to visit our website

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.