Sportspy Reports – Sunday August 29th 2010

Up at a breezy Boundary Park, Blackpool this morning checking in on the three league fixtures that were being played at the Grange Park venue across Divisions 1 and 2.

PlayFootball Logo - click to visit our website

On pitch 2 Uncle Toms Cabin FC (Last season's Paris Casino FC) were looking to gain their first points of the season after suffering four straight defeats since the start of the season. Today's opponents were Christ the King FC who last season played as Progress Sports & Social FC.  Progress were woeful in the opening half an hour and Uncle Tom's took full adavantage with some spirited attacking play.  By the break they had raced into a 3-0 lead and only the efforts of keeper Brown stopped them from being dead and buried.  There was a big improvement in the second 45 as they pulled two goals back and in the closing moments they had chances to equalise but were wasteful in front of goal. Unce Tom's held on to win 3-2 and despite picking up those first points they stay bottom of Division 1 tonight whilst Christ the King FC are in ninth.

Keeper Brown under early pressure (Tom's are in the yellow)

Goal – Tom's take the lead.

Glorious colours at Boundary this morning despite the gale.  Pitches in decent condition.

Referee Tony Cunliffe enjoying the game.

Jason Nuttall almost extends the lead for Tom's

Late in the game and Christ the King FC are inches away from scoring a dramatic equaliser.

Into Division 2 and on Pitch 4 the Farmers Arms FC were at home to Travel Village FC. Neither side had enjoyed the best of starts to the campaign, especially Travel Village FC who had lost three out of the opening four.  This one was a close and entertaining game which in the end finished at 2-2.  Neither side were overly pleased with the point.  Travel Village FC were in the black and white.

Farmers keeper Chris Brookes

'Push it through his legs'

Barney Woolcock (Left)

Referee Ross Swift and the Farmer's liner exchange pleasantries

Mr Swift

Woolcock appeared to trip over his own feet and was rather fortuitiously rewarded with a free kick

Dave Hall(shades) rallies the troops at the interval.

Young Taylor out supporting the Farmers

Dad Wayne (14) was beaten to the ball by the nippy Village forward who went on to smash it past Brookes into the corner.

Steve Taylor after taking one on the chin.

Finally, across on Pitch 3, in-form Squirrel FC were at home to the Blackpool Catholic Club FC (Black and red).  The Squirrel had won three out of the opening five whilst the Catholics had only won one of their opening four games.  In thr first half, the Squirrel looked to be the better side and when they went 3-1 ahead following a controversial penalty midway through the second half they looked to have sealed the points but the Catholics never gave up and in the end they salvaged a point with a 3-3 draw.

The Catholic keeper is beaten from distance.  The net billows in the wind.

Mr John 'Corky' Corkwell in charge of this one

Eddie Kay (Squirrel FC) – not the tallest keeper in the BFSFA

Catholic manager Graham.

Shaun Meehan (9) rises well but his header goes over the bar.

The Squirrel FC convert a second half penalty

Free kick for the Catholics.  'I'll take it', 'No, you had the last one I'll take it', 'No, I'm taking it', 'Move out of the way, this one's mine', 'No, step over it and I'll take it'.

Bravely taken by Eddie Kay in the Squirrel goal

Sportspy 2010/11

PlayFootball Logo - click to visit our website

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.