Sportspy extra – Sunday May 9th 2010

At the home of Fleetwood Town FC as they looked to clinch a place in the Blue Square Premier Division (Conference).  Alfreton Town FC stood in their way in the play off final of the Blue Square North Division.  Come on Cod Army!

PlayFootball Logo - click to visit our website

It's been a brilliant effort all season by Fleetwood Town FC in the Blue Square North Division but at the end of the day they were just pipped for the title by rivals Southport largely due to Farsley Celtic folding.  That resulted in the play offs.  After losing 2-0 at Droylsden the second leg finished 3-1 to Fleetwood who progressed to the final on penalties.  Their opponents were Alfreton Town FC and as Fleetwood had finished higher in the table they had home advantage.

The tie was was sold out days ago so we had a capacity crowd of 4,000 on a mild Spring afternoon.  The Cod Army were out in numbers and they were in good voice.  Fleetwood started well and took the lead on nine minutes after Gareth Seddon deflected a shot past the hapless Alfreton keeper.  For the last twenty minutes of the half and the first fifteen after the break Alfreton were much the better side and deservedly equalised from the penalty spot.

Minutes later and Fleetwood grabbed the all important winner.  A free kick was floated into the box, the keeper came but didn't deal with it and Fleetwood reacted first to score a dramatic second.  Although Alfreton went close in added time Fleetwood hung on to earn the victory.  After such a good season, few if any would begrudge them their well deserved promotion.  Good luck to them next season in the Conference.

Good to see a few friendly faces at the back of the stand.  Tally (left), Chris Debar and Barney Woolcock.

The pitch in fantastic condition at the end of the season

Fleetwood Cricket Club FC manager Kev.

Micky Mellon

The players emerge from the tunnel

Old Town Hall FC manager Mick Hutchinson emerges from the bar

The respective captains toss up

Best seats in the house

Fleetwood with the early pressure

It smelled as good as it looked

Gareth Seddon (9 – left) deflects the shot past the keeper to put Fleetwood ahead.  1-0

The Fleetwood subs celebrate

'Who are ya'

More pressure from the home side

Captain Cod

The seating area

It's a sell out – every vantage point is taken

Danny Hurst (Half time)

Half time score: Fleetwood Town FC 1 – 0 Alfreton Town FC

Young Sporty proudly wearing his Blackpool hat mixing it with the Cod Army

Steve Curwood

The second half gets underway

It looks like the end of Seddon's involvement

Lee Thorpe comes on to replace him

Alfreton equalise from the spot – straight down the middle.  1-1

The away support goes wild

Free kick

The keeper comes but flaps at it

….and Fleetwood take advantage to regain the lead.  2-1

The Cod Army celebrate

'Micky, Micky..give us a wave”

There's always one

'Five minutes added time?'…you must be joking

Nervy last few moments

There's always two – very patriotic – chemically enhanced

The codlings are under starters orders as they await the whistle

More heroics from the Fleetwood keeper in the dying moments

The final whistle finally goes – Fleetwood Town FC are promoted

Lee Thorpe collects his medal alongside son Lucas

The management team swig the champers

Nathan Pond (Hat)

He deserves it – Congratulations to everyone associated with Fleetwood Town FC

Final score : Fleetwood Town FC 2 – 1 Alfreton Town FC

Sportspy 2009/10

PlayFootball Logo - click to visit our website

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.