Sportspy Reports – Sunday April 25th 2010

As the end of the season approached, three Divisional Cup finals took place throughout the day in ideal conditions at the grounds of Blackpool Wren Rovers FC and AFC Blackpool.  Here are pictures from the Division 2 and Prem/Division 1 finals along with brief match summaries. 

PlayFootball Logo - click to visit our website

First up was the Division 2 Cup final which was played at the ground of Blackpool Wren Rovers FC between Progress Sports & Social FC (2B) and Spindles FC (2A).  We had an even opening 30 minutes before Spindles took the lead.  A Rob Greaves shot crashed back down off the bar and poacher Scott Park was there to tap it in from close range.  As so often happens, Progress equalised immediately. Good persistence from Curt Smith saw him expertly lob Morrell in the Spindles goal.  Just before the interval Shaun Meehan rose the highest from a corner to nod home and put his side 2-1 up at the break.

In the second half the game died a little with few chances at either end.  On 78 minutes it looked as though the game was dead and buried as Progress went 3-1 ahead on 78 minutes as a headed flew past Morrell.  Spindles swapped things around as they had little to lose with Phil Ioannou going up front.  This move paid dividends as Park was sent through on the left and hammered the ball in from the angle.  As the final whistle approached we had drama as Captain Courageous Danny Howard headed home a free-kick to send the Spindles supporters wild.  Extra time.  I nipped home for my lunch, changed the camer battery and on my return it was still 3-3 and that's how it ended.  Penalties. Nine cleanly taken penalties and then up stepped Progress defender Joe.  He was the only player to put the ball in the penalty 'hole' rather than either side or behind it.  We feared for him and we were right as he fired wide.  Unlucky Joe and well played Progress but it's Spindles that celebrate tonight with the Division 2 Cup.  Congratulations to all concerned.

Progress Sports & Social Club FC 2009/10

This morning's officials.  Simon Moore, John Hornsby and Andy Byrne (Right)

Spindles FC 2009/10

Phil Ioannou

Spindles FC manager Matthew Clarke

Spindles FC (Lucky mascot)

Danny Howard

Hold your opponent down with one arm


Progress fans

Ahh, she's got my text

The Progress bench

Just wide

Spindles take the lead.  Chris Brown picks it out of the back of the net.

A young Spindles fan

With the score at 1-1 Spindles had a great chance but in the above picture the striker rushed his effort and the keeper saved with his legs.  He should have scored. 

Shaun Meehan (4) climbs the highest to head home from the corner

Spindles are gutted

Progress celebrate

Good tackle Joe

'Go long'

Spindles fans (Mad woman)

The sun is out and she goes' off the shoulder'.  Marvellous.

….and then she flinches

Back to the action

'My fault referee – apologies'

The Progress go 3-1 up with only twelve minutes left

As the advertising hoarding says – 'Quires'

Scott Buchanan

Scott Park cuts inside and lashes it home.  2-3 and the comeback is on

Ioannou retrieves the ball

Danny Howard (Obscured) heads home a dramatic late equaliser

In trouble with the ref

In trouble with Mum – the toddler invaded the pitch before being unceremoniously picked up with one arm and escorted off.  Harsh.

Progress notch the first penalty

Morrell almost had this one

Spindles make it five out of five

Progress miss.  Keeper Morrell looks worried – he knows what's coming


Unlucky Progress collect their medals

The officials receive a momento

Spindles FC celebrate winning the Division 2 Cup

Manager Matthew Clarke with skipper Danny Howard and the Cup

Spindles keeper Morrell watches his young son supping Stella out of the Cup

Final score – Progress Sports & Social Club FC 3 – 3 Spindles FC

(Spindles won 5-4 on penalties after extra time)

Over at AFC Blackpool we had the first ever playing of the Premier/Division 1 Cup between Quilligans FC (Prem) and FC Eden (Light blue).  There was a good crowd enjoying the warm Spring sunshine.  The pitch at AFC Blackpool has never looked better at this time of the season for many years.  Due to the extra time and penalties at Wrens I arrived fifteen minutes late.  FC Eden were already 1-0 ahead thanks to Craig Byrom who had broke clear of the defence, danced around keeper Andy Speight and scored.  He missed a similar chance in the opening minutes apparently.

On the half hour mark Quilligans FC equalised due to an acrobatic overhead kick from Robbie Boal.  1-1 at the interval.  Into the second half and Martin Baird put Quilligans ahead after he swept home a Scott Sugden cross first time.  2-1.  FC Eden fought back and again exposed Quilligans FC's high back line after Ryan Bingham latched on to Craig Byrom's though ball and slotted it past Speight.  2-2.

That's how it finished after 90 minutes and for the second time today we had penalties.  Andy Speight made a fantastic save from the first penalty.  (The camera missed it).  Quills scored and Eden missed their second. Slater slotted home the fourth for Quills and that was game over.  Slater deservedly scoring the winning penalty after his man of the match performance.  Unlucky Eden and well done to Quilligans FC.  The competetion works – a good decision by the BFSFA committee.

Referees Rick Parr (Left), Tony Cunliffe and John McNicholas are interested spectators

Roy Bingham of FC Eden

The ball comes over and Robbie Boal (8) finds himself way forward for him as the ball looks to drop behind him

No problem as his overhead kick flies past the FC Eden keeper

'Cod Army'

'That'll cheer him up'

The Devvy watch on with refreshments

Alan Grieve watches a number of his Wren Rover's players

Mark Cottam

Referee Dave Wolfenden

Craig Byrom (Left) – He's wasting away that lad

Awaiting the corner

A brave save amongst the flying studs

How rude

Sean Slater

Lee Conway runs away with it

Free kick

Just ran out of play

Quilligans FC manager Mark Spedding

Ciaran Donnelly

Scott McNeill

Martin Baird shows his delight at scoring Quiligans FC's second goal

Michael Braebaum

Ryan Bingham (9) scores for FC Eden to make it 2-2

The bench are happy.  Big Joe bizarrely celebrates with a self -inflicted nipple twist

Chris Morris on the ball

Danny Rowe

No more football for Big Scouse Joe as injury ends his career

Full time – extra time

Get yourself all sorted

Flashpoint on the sideline

'Watch it!'

Penalties – Sent the wrong way

Sent the wrong way (2)

Will Watt wheels away after scoring the third for Quilligans

'JUMANJI'…Slater scores the winning penalty.  I think that's four wins for him in this competition with four different clubs

FC Eden collect their medals

Rare disappointment for FC Eden fans

'Thank you maam'  Mr wolfenden collects his medal from Carole Cox

Helpers with the medals

Quilligans FC kind of celebrate with the Cup

Final score : Quilligans FC 2 – 2 FC Eden

(Quilligans won 4-2 on penalties after extra time)

Sportspy 2009/10

PlayFootball Logo - click to visit our website

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.