Sportspy Reports – Sunday April 11th 2010

At Boundary Park, Blackpool four Divisional Cup semi-finals were taking place.  The big guns had made it through to the last four in each of the Division 2 and Division 3 competitions but who would make it throught to the respective finals?

PlayFootball Logo - click to visit our website

Little beats the anticipation of Cup semi final day in the lower Divisions.  It would be ecstasy and heartbreak in equal measures.  Starting off with a few pictures from the Division 2 Cup semi-final between Progress Sports & Social FC (2B) and the Squirrel FC (2A).  Both teams were in good form prior to this morning's game.  In the first half the neutral view from many was that the Squirrel had much the better of the play but were 1-0 down at the break.  Two further Progress goals in the second half led to a period of domination but the Squirrel never give up and pulled back a late consolation.  Final score – Progress 3 – 1 The Squirrel.

The Squirrel FC 2009/10

Progress Sports & Social FC 2009/10

The Taylor brothers were each running the line.  – Wayne Taylor on one side

…………and James Taylor on the other.

Punky WAGS

The keeper has it

Ex player Don still misses his fix of Sunday morning football

The Squirrel grab a late consolation

The Progress reach the final

In the other semi final 2B leaders were hosting 2A side Spindles FC.  These too were also in good form with each having a chance of wining the respective league titles.  Spindles in the red raced into a shock 3-0 lead.  Highfield pulled one back through a Scott Waters header and gradually clawed their way back into the match.  At 3-2 Spindles had two great chances to win it but a long range equaliser took the game into extra time but Spindles showed courage and persistance to put the disappointment of throwing a 3-0 lead away to reach the final thanks to a famous 4-3 victory.

Committee – Collins – Connor – Kennedy

Scott Waters (Blue with armband) gives it plenty after pulling a goal back for Highfield to make it 3-1 not long before the break

More family ties officiating – Young Willetts on the line

With Dad Lee refereeing in the middle

Chettle has a chat with the referee

Craig Worrall (Left)

Good lad – watched the whole match without moaning

In each other's way


Half time – so far so good

Spindles go close at 3-2 but although the keeper was beaten a last ditch block on the line kept Highfield's hopes alive

Another good tip over from Brookes

Highfield draw level thatnks to a long range effort that has keeper Morrell arguing with his post

'Get hold of it'………….the keeper nearly gets a nasty kick where it hurts

On to the Division 3 Cup semi finals.  Three sides from 3B had made it through.  The first of these were the Edge FC who were up against Division 3 Champions Real Burlington FC who were odds on favourites.  The Edge showed fantastic spirit as they twice took the lead  in normal time only for Burlies to pull it back on each occasion.  Going into extra time it looked as through the Edge had had their chance but after the additional period the score was 3-3 and in a dramatic penalty shoot-out the Edge won 6-5 on Pens in a match to remember.  FC Edge are in the green.

Burlies on the attack


Liner Gez Currey.  'You're officiating FC Edge' was taken as 'You're officiating at Commonedge'.  After a long trip to Marton he was finally back at Boundary Park and the match kicked off fifteen minutes late.

More WAGS out of hibernation – It must be Spring

More disciplinary problems for 'hot head' Chris Nay

Referee Ian Rose

Half time – 'We're playing brilliant lads'

It's ecstasy as the Edge take a 2-1 lead

The keeper just about beats him to it

Chris Nay is in agony after being chopped down

It looked painful

The FC Edge keeper

Late pressure from Real Burlington

Last but by no means least we had the Ashiana FC (Purple) against Golden Eagle FC who are the only BFSFA side still to be beaten in the league this season.  Both sides were from 3B and had already enjoyed two good tussles in the league as the Eagle took four points following a 3-3 draw and a 3-1 win.  This was a fantastic game of football.  At one stage the Eagle were 3-1 up but Ashiana pulled it back to 3-3 and 4-4 before finally going on to win 6-4 largely thanks to four goals from super striker Phillipson Peltier who was unstoppable.  A great day's action at Boundary.

Peltier impedes his opponent

The Ashiana keeper

The Golden Eagle wall


Ashiana hoodie – time to pack the fags in blondie

A long throw is only half cleared and the rebound is smashed home from 20 yards.  The Eagle are ahead

Philippson Peltier (Left)

Late breakfast or early lunch?

The Ashiana fall 3-1 behind – surely their Cup dream is over?

Peltier pulls it back to 3-3…Game on

The Eagle management team show concern

The Eagle show frustration – a yellow card from Mr Cropp

It looks as though Dennis Peters might be coming on.  John McDonald (Right)

The Eagle support.  The sun is out and so are the shades

Eagle fan

Peltier wheels away after cutting inside to make it 6-4

More frustration = more yellow

A girl points

The Ashiana WAGS are happy – A Cup final equals a new outfit

Wembley bound – Ashiana FC who will meet FC Edge in the final – well done 3B

Sportspy 2009/10

PlayFootball Logo - click to visit our website

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.