Sportspy Reports – Sunday March 14th 2010

At Commonedge Road this morning looking in on four Divisional Cup Quarter finals.  Two were being played in the Division 2 Cup and two were being played in the Division 3 Cup.

PlayFootball Logo - click to visit our website

It was cold and crisp at Collins Park but by 11am the overnight frost had sufficiently thawed to allow the Division 2 Cup Quarter Final between Highfield Social FC and Layton Institute FC.   Under floodlights in midweek the Social had missed the opportunity to go top of Division 2B as they slipped up to lose 4-2 at home to Boars Head FC.  Today's opponents Layton Institute FC were fifth in 2B.  The sides had already faced each other in the league with one win apiece.  The Social took the lead thanks to a soft penalty decision when referee Ian Rose noticed some pushing/holding from a corner.  In the end Highfield Social FC went on to win 3-0.

Highfield in the blue

Chettle (Right)

Matt Raybould (Right)

Scott Waters on the ball

The Layton keeper's dodgy shoulder re-appears after saving a powerful shot

Fraser Cook (Right)

Craig Worrall

The Layton keeper had drifted on to the six yard line and was almost caught out as a dipping shot from the edge of the box hit the underside of the bar and bounced down on to the line.

Referee Rose awards the spot kick

……………..and it's powerfully converted into the bottom corner.

Over to Pitch 6 where Ashiana FC (3B) were hosting FC Rangers (3A) in the Division 3 Cup Quarter-Final.  I expect the sides were meeting for the first time.  Ashiana were fourth in 3B this morning whilst FC Rangers were eighth in 3A but they're getting better as the season goes on.  There were two goals in two minutes as I arrived.  Firstly rangers went 2-1 up before the Ashiana equalised.  In the end Ashiana edged their way into semi-finals thanks to a 5-4 victory.

FC Rangers take the lead

The Ashiana equalise to make it 2-2

FC Rangers keeper

Alan Varley

A good grasp

FC kingsfield supporter (The dog was after the ball)

Thirsty work – The Ashiana half time team talk

Just a few pictures from the Real Burlington v AFC Ansdell Excelsior Division 3 Cup Quarter-Final.  Favourites Burlington made the semi-finals after beating their 3A opponents 3-1.

AFC Ansdell at the interval

He should be made to play in boxing gloves this lad as he can't leave it alone

Geoff Blincow (AFC Ansdell) charging through midfield

Finally, West Coast Tackle Postal FC were at home to the Squirrel FC over on Pitch 1 in the last eight of the Division 2 Cup.  West Coast were second in 2A whilst the Squirrel were in seventh.  In the two league encounters West Coast had taken all six points and when they led 2-0 at the break it looked like it was going to be three out of three.  However, a spirited comeback from the Bispham outfit saw them come back to win 3-2 with the winner coming in added time.

Squirrel (Red and green) putting the pressure on

West Coast WAGS.  High fashion but low interest in the footbal

Keeper error as the West Coast Number 1 was deceived by an inoccuous looking shot.  Maybe the sun was in eyes. 2-2

Hoping that the net would swallow him up

Squirrel keeper Andrew Wright

West Coast had two excellent chances to win in the dying minutes but on each occasion they were denied at close range by the veteran Squirrel keeper

Into injury time and the Squirrel break clear and score a dramatic winner

We're in the semis

Sportspy 2009/10

PlayFootball Logo - click to visit our website

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.