Sportspy Reports – Sunday October 25th 2009.

At the extremely exposed location of Blackpool Road, St Annes watching the Divison 2B wind blown fixture between Skye FC and Blackpool Catholic Club FC.  A win for either side would have boosted them into the top half of the table.

PlayFootball Logo - click to visit our website

Skye FC were in ninth place in the 2B league table this morning after having win two and drawn two of their opening seven fixtures.  Recent form has been good with 8-2 and 7-3 wins over the Old England and Marshall Court Sandpiper respectively.  It was the first time they'd won two league games in succession for over two years.  They've had a tough start to the season after having to play Progress Sports & Social twice and Highfield Social who are both fancied for promotion.  Gledhill Cup involvement ended in Round 2 for Skye when after a first round bye they were beaten 4-1 by Waterloo Sports & Social.  Skye have finished eleventh in the two subsequent seasons and are clearly hoping for some improvement.

Today's opponents Blackpool Catholic Club FC played as the Saddle Inn last season and a fifth placed finish in Division 3A was good enough to give them promotion to the higher Division.  This morning they were one point and one place better off than their opponents having played one game more.  The side have had mixed start winning three and losing five of their opening eight matches.  They recently ended a run of five straight losses with two wins and a narrow loss against Progerss Sports.  They beat FC Newton Castilla in the first round of the Gledhill and in a seven goal thriller were unluckily beaten 4-3 by FC Talbot.

Today's game was a hard one to predict with both teams confident of gaining three points.  A stormy night across the Fylde had only subsided slightly.  At 11am the gale was blowing across the open expanse with the rain threatening but at least it was well over ten degrees.   Kelvin Dyson was today's allocated referee but didn't show so stand-in official Adam Campbell took his place.  He got proceedings underway with Skye kicking off in their blue strip with the strong wind on their backs.

Skye FC 2009/10

Blackpool Catholic Club FC 2009/10  10:58 and still no sign of the keeper.

Stand-in ref Adam Cambell (Brave man in a T Shirt) with the two captains.

Skye kick off

Catholic Club manager Brian McGuinness

Skye manager Ali 'Angry' Martin assisting the referee with a throw-in decision – Skye's way unsurprisingly according to the tin of Irn Bru.

The gale straight off the sea billows the netting.

He's dangerous enough without sharp weapons in his hand.  The flags make a belated entrance.

On seventeen minutes Skye were awarded a penalty.  The Catholic's claimed that Matty Grime had tripped over the ball but in the above picture there's a slight suggestion that he may just have been impeded by two of the opposition defenders.  The penalty was converted by Lee O'Neill. 1-0.

A tricky landing

'Are you OK Winston?' The Skye centre half gets a knock


'It's not for girls'……..Skye secretary Karen shelters from the cold.  Bless.

On the half hour Skye extended their lead when Chris Morgan's wind assisted corner sailed over the heads of the Catholic rearguard and in off the far post.  2-0

'I meant it……….honest'

A minute later and it was 3-0.  Skye keeper Chris Teasdale launched a long goal -kick out of his hands.  Two Skye forwards timed their run perfectly and Catholic keeper Irvine, wary of their presence, lost concentration as the ball bounced straight into the net despite Leo's claim that it skimmed his ear – no wonder he's always so high in the top goalscorer's charts.

Adam Campbell with the whistle

Free kick for Skye

Gary Coward drives home the free kick on 39 minutes.  Skye FC are 4-0 up.

Half time score :  Skye FC 4 – 0 Blackpool Catholic Club FC

Five year old T.J. out watching dad Tony play for Skye.  'My sister threw a toy car at my eye'.  That's sisters for you.

Now it's the Catholic's turn to have the advantage of the wind.  They showed their intentions right from the off with a long range effort right from the restart.

Teasdale sees it safely over.

On 57 minutes Skye scored the killer goal.  It was all down to the pace, skill and clinical finishing of O'Neill who worked his way past three defenders before crashing past Irvine. 5-0

Phil Brown

On 70 minutes the Catholic's grabbed a consolation.  A throw-in eventually fell to Phil Brown and his well timed volley from a dipping ball flew past Teasdale.  5-1.

Driving rain – not very pleasant.

Jay Irvine

I'm stood behind the Catholic goal and you can see their keeper foolishly goes walkabout but he luckily got away with it.

Thank goodness for that – time for home.

Final score – Skye FC 5 – 1 Blackpool Catholic Club FC

A game of two halves as they say with football at Blackpool Road, St Annes and Commonedge made a lotter by the strong gales but that's Sunday football on the Fylde Coast – play hard or go home.  When the Catholic Club went in 4-0 down at the break I fancied their chances of a comeback but they failed to live up to expectations as they played relatively poorly with the wind behind them.  They needed to score first and score early in the second period but it never came and when Skye did score against the wind to go 5-0 up their opponents knew they were all but beaten.

That's three wins in a row now for Skye and not only that but they've managed to score twenty goals in those three wins and the confidence is beginning to shine through.  They're up to seventh tonight and although a top five place is probably beyond them that sixth place is well within their sights if they can keep up this kind of form.  Good performances from the two forwards but Chris Morgan was my Man of the Match today. Stand-in referee Adam Campbell did a great job.

Sportspy 2009/10

PlayFootball Logo - click to visit our website

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.