Sportspy Reports (1) – Sunday April 19th 2009.

Back to Highbury Avenue, Fleetwood for an early start.  In the morning FC Eden took on rivals AFC Additions in the Division 2 Cup final and that was followed by the Premier Division Cup final which was played between Quilligans FC and Red Rose Catering FC.  Sunshine all the way with 'Cup final' weather for both matches.

Music? Click here

PlayFootball Logo - click to visit our website

Super Sunday at Fleetwood Town FC with two Divisional Cup finals on offer.  First up was the Division 2 Cup final that was contested between Division 2A rivals FC Eden and AFC Additions who both had hopes of a league and Cup double.

Last season's Division 3A title winners FC Eden are going really well in 2A and as the season nears its end they're in a two horse race for the title with toady's opponents AFC Additions.  Recently, they both met in league action and each picked up a win apiece which has made things very interesting at the top where FC Eden currently have a one point lead but AFC Additions have a game in hand.  They'd reached this morning's semi-final by thumping Skye, Paris Casino and Marshall Court 6-0, 7-1 and 9-1 respectively before knocking out Mythop Leisure FC in the semi-final.  Whatever happens, it's been another great campaign for manager Roy Bingham's FC Eden in the BFSFA in only their second season.

Last season AFC Additions finished fourth in Division 2B and as a result of the Divisional restructuring they were moved across to Division 2A.  The move has seen them face a whole host of new teams at different venues.  So far so good as the team have had a great 2008/09 season.  Going into April they still have a great chance of winning the 2A title.  Graham Quinn's men have reached the final by whipping Great Eccleston 5-0 in the opening round, beating Frenchman's Cove 4-1 in Round 2, Spindles in the quarter-final and most recently favourites Fleetwood Cricket Club FC in the semi-final.  That epic encounter betweeen the local rivals finished at 3-3 but Additions made it through by winning the dreaded penalty shoot-out. 

The Cup final referee was Graham Nixon and running the line were Colin Bascombe and John Cordwell.  FC Eden were in their dark blue kit.

AFC Additions 2008/09.

FC Eden 2008/09.

Graham Nixon (Referee) alongside Colin Bascombe (Left) and John Corkwell.

FC Eden's Joe McGivern's Cup final lasted less than five minutes as he never recovered from what looked to be a very painful injury.

On six minutes the addition's player knocked it over Eden keeper Craig Lee's head but Brady Skellington cleared it.

Moments later and FC Eden took the lead as Jamie Chadwick stooped to head home Ryan Bingham's corner.

Scott Bradford (Right)

Supporters out early in the warm sunshine.

Perkes takes a tumble in the box.

FC Eden keeper Craig Lee.

On 31 minutes a throughball was played toward the Addition's goal.  Keeper Dave Erdley was in two minds about clearing it with his boot but he chose to pick it up instead.  However, he picked it up outside his area and it was spotted by referee's assistant Mr Bascombe.  Free-kick.  It proved to be a costly decision. 

Ryan Bingham smashes in the free-kick via the backside of an opponent.  The Eden go 2-0 up.

The FC Eden lapdancer WAGS are happy.

FC Eden drill sergeant Scott McNeill.

Craig Byrom (Right).

FC Eden supporter Olivia.

'Put the white hat back on please'

Blue toe-nail polish – unorthodox but attractive.

Into the second half.  FC Eden are 2-0 up.  Keeper Lee makes a good catch.


On 50 minutes Bingham danced around the keeper and slotted it home.  There were cries for offside.

After a brief discussion the goal was indeed ruled out for offside.

Hands down Byro.

On 55 minutes FC Eden made it 3-0.  An incisive break down the right sent Kyle Bingham clear and his pinpoint cross put it on a plate for Craig Byrom who made no mistake from six yards.  3-0.

Byrom thanks Kyle Bingham for the assist.

On 70 minutes, two cups of coffee caught up with me so I nipped to the loo.  Sod's law as AFC Additions pulled one back.  A shot was apparently well blocked but Chris Rose followed up to give Additions some hope.

A cloudless sky at Highbury Avenue.

Ryan Bingham picks up a knock.


Colin Bascombe.

On 84 minutes FC Eden regained their three goal advantage.  A Ryan Bingham cross from the left was inch perfect for Craig Byrom who rose unimpeded to head firmly into the top corner.  4-1.

But AFC Additions never say die as moments later Alan Perkes hit a superb volley across Lee into the far corner.  4-2.

Alan Perkes (Left)

There was to be no more time for an AFC Additiion's fightback as the final whistle goes.

Final score :  FC Eden 4 – 2 AFC Additions

AFC Additions collect their runners up medals.

Mr Bascombe picks up his medal.

Captain Ryan Bingham hoists the Division 2 Cup for FC Eden.

FC Eden celebrate winning the Division 2 Cup (Warning – Not for kids due to bad language)

It was to be FC Eden's day and after they went 2-0 up they rarely looked in any danger.  At 3-0 up they still couldn't relax as opponents AFC Additions never know when they're beaten and after Chris Rose pulled one back they had a really good spell but couldn't convert.  Byrom's excellent header calmed nerves but still Additions came back with a goal from Perkes.  Good performances today from the Bingham brothers and at the back Skellington and Chadwick dominated with the latter just edging my Man of the Match award but he'd slipped off before I could give him the Teamsport90 trophy.  Well officiated by Mr Nixon and his team.  These two sides still have the Division 2A league title to pay for.

Sportspy 2008/09

PlayFootball Logo - click to visit our website

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.