News from the Carberry Cup match – January 14th 2009.

This evening saw the annual Carberry Cup match that takes place each season between a BFSFA Representative XI and a Preston Sunday Football League XI.  This years match was at home and took place at the ground of Blackpool Wren Rovers.  Here's a very brief match summary.

The BFSFA retain the Carberry Cup.

Unsurprisingly for mid January it was wet, cold and breezy but at the third time of asking the game was on at Blackpool Wren Rovers, a ground that hasn't seen much action since late November.  The referee was Lee Willetts with Dave Wolfenden and Rickie Parr as his assistants.

Manager Spedding started with a 5-3-2 formation with Dave Stevenson in goal behind a back three of Kevan Ford, Chris Morris and Pete Taberner.  Paul Carroll was left wing back opposite Scott Sugden on the right.  In midfield were Robbie Boal, Sam Gorrie and Danny Whittaker with Danny Rowe and Chris Cairns up front.

Preston started brightly and created a number of scares for Stevenson who was finding his handling a little tricky with the wind and rain in his face.  On 11 minutes Chris Cairns had the ball in the net for the home side but referee Willetts ruled it out for a foul on the defender.  On 29 minutes the best chance of the half initially fell to Danny Rowe who sold a dummy and fired it in from the edge of the box.  A Preston defender did well to block it but the ball deflected across the six yard box and Whittaker was unlucky not to get his toe to it.  The last fifteen minutes of the half were uneventful with both teams cancelling each other out in the middle of the park.  Goalless at the break.

The BFSFA kicked off the second half with the wind on their backs.  Wrea Green's Matty Kirkham replaced Stevo in goals and Anthony Warwick came on at left wing back with Paul Carroll switching to the right.  On 50 minutes the BFSFA took the lead.  Whittaker passed it into Rowe's feet and with a trademark shimmy he created the space to lash it low and hard into the bottom right hand corner.  1-0.  Great power from out of his feet.  A minute later he almost snatched a second but his long-range effort was well parried by the Preston keeper.

On the hour mark Chris Cairns was replaced by Poulton's Carl Eastwood.  A good effort by Cairns as the Preston defenders struggled once again struggled to cope with his excellent hold up play and distribution.  On 65 minutes the Crescent's Michael Braebaum replaced skipper Robbie Boal in the centre of the park.  Anthony Warwick had a few runs on the left but early doors ran into a brick walls.  Things changed on 70 minutes when he played a one two with Eastwood.  Warwick's pace, strength and composure took him to the ball first and he rifled it past the Preston keeper into the bottom corner from eighteen yards.  2-0.  Great finish.

On 72 minutes Eastwood was adjudged to have been fouled on the edge of the box.  Danny Rowe of course took it, the keeper could only warm his hands on it and there was Paul Carroll to pick up the scraps and knock it home for a third.  3-0.  On 75 minutes Paul Carroll was replaced by Martin Baird. 

On 77 minutes Danny Rowe was left unmarked on the right, a great crossfield ball eas met by the confident Warwick with a first time effort off the edge of his boot that bounced back off the bar.   Preston finished strongly and despite a couple of good moves and shooting opportunities they couldn't grab a consolation.

Final score – The BFSFA 3 – 0 Preston Sunday League

In summary, a workmanlike performance from the BFSFA squad who worked hard off the ball all over the pitch.  0-0 was a fair scoreline at half time.  Danny Rowe was the difference in the second half and deservedly took the Man of The Match award for his goal, his assist and his all round contribution throughout the 90 minutes.  Preston were decent going forward but lacked the necessary punch in front of goal.  A clean sheet was the reward for the defenders who reduced Preston to shots from outside the box.

A decent sized crowd for such a foul night and the majority were rewarded with a BFSFA win.  Skipper Robbie Boal lifted the Carberry Cup for the home side. 

BFSFA captain Robbie Boal is presented with the Carberry Cup

(Photo courtesy of Eamonn McNamara – LEPSFL)

Back to Preston next season where hopefully we can make it three in a row.  

Sportspy   2008/09.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.