Sportspy Reports – Sunday September 21st 2008.

The first visit of the season to Cottam Hall, Poulton to watch the Division 3A league match between the Falcon FC and C&G Electrical FC.  Once again, we had perfect conditions for football.

Music? Click here

The main objective of 'Sportspy Reports' is to feature as many of our local sides as possible across all of the six Divisions throughout the season.  It's not easy to cover them all on my own and one team that missed out last season was the Falcon FC so this morning saw an overdue visit to Cottam Hall to check them out in their Division 3A league match against C&G Electrical FC.

Although there are a few remnants from the old Staining CES Electrical FC last season they made their debut in Fylde Coast Sunday football and the final Division 3B table of the season saw them finish in a respectable eighth place after they won nine and drew four of their twenty-four league games.

This season, league re-structuring has seen them placed in Division 3A where they're up against some better teams.  They're also under new management with Kevin Barker now at the helm.  They've got off to a mixed start with two wins, a draw and three defeats but that's been good enough to leave them in fifth place in the morning table.  Top side FC Gretone unsurprisingly beat them on the opening day snd the same side knocked them out of the second round of the Gledhill Cup last Sunday.  Their best result of the season so far came away at FC Newton where they came away with an emphatic 6-0 win.

Today's opponents were C&G Electrical FC.  The sides had already met on August 17th when C&G narrowly won the game 1-0.  Last season, and playing as the Brun Grove FC they finished bottom of 3A picking up only eight points all season.  This season they also have a co managers in the shape of Wai Hon Tsang and Shane McKenna (Both good Fylde Coast names) after only five matches they're almost on the brink of beating last season's points total.  The table showed them in sixth this morning only a point behind the Falcon with a game in hand.  Dizzy heights indeed for C&G who have had a terrible record in recent seasons.

Last week they were knocked out of the Gledhill Cup by the Farmers Arms FC who went through 2-1 after extra time.  When the pitches are dry there are few better venues than Cottam Hall and this morning it was at its best in the Autumnal sunshine.  Perfect conditions for football with a light breeze, blue skies, a good surface and mild temperatures.  Today's official was Mark Bates and at 10:56 the match was underway with C&G in the white kicking towards the railway tracks.

Falcon FC 2008/09.

C&G Electrical FC 2008/09

“Ready keeper?  Off we go”

The expectant crowd only had four minutes to wait until the deadlock was broken.  C&G broke upfield and a burst of pace took Damian Lloyd into the box.  He looked up and chipped the oncoming Falcon keeper Alex Spencer.  0-1.

Lloyd puts the electricians ahead.

The lovely Kirsty, “We're one nil down already.”

Waiting for the high ball.

A good take from C&G keeper Brookes.

On nine minutes C&G should have increased the lead.  Keeper Spencer spilled an inoccuous cross behind him.  As the ball fell down Tom Dodsworth (9) had the simplest of chances but with the open goal in front of him he sliced it wide.  Shocking football.

“How did I miss?”

A minute later and C&G had the ball in the net through Martin Downes but the flag was up early and the goal was ruled out for offside.

On fifteen minutes the Falcon created their best opportunity when a deflected shot from the edge of the box had to be athletically tipped over by the veteran C&G keeper Brookes.

Top conditions at Cottam Hall.

C&G goalkeeper Chris Brookes.

Another well timed catch from Brookes.

On 29 minutes C&G increased their lead.  A long ball over the high line of the Falcon defence sent Martin Downes clear and his pace took him clear into the box and he made no mistake from twelve yards.  0-2.

Martin Downes (7) slots it home for C&G's second.

Referee Mark Bates.


The Falcon player launches a throw-in in front of his own supporters.

On 32 minutes a brilliant Falcon long range effort had to be tipped over again by Brookes in the above picture.

C&G co-manager Wai Hon Tsang pleased to see that one go over.

An impromptu drinks break.

Falcon escape.


Mike Banks.

C&G player manager Shane McKenna.

Half time score :  Falcon FC 0 – 2 C & G Electrical FC

C&G WAGS Amy (Left) and Jodie.

Young C&G supporters Alex and Dakota.

Falcon get the second half underway.

Falcon started the second half very much on top and created four or five decent chances.  In the above picture Brookes is beaten by Banks' drive but he's saved by a combination of bar and post as the ball spins away.

A free advert for the sponsor.

On 62 minutes it was no surpise at all when the Falcon pulled one back but it required something special to beat Brookes.  Following a throw on the right the ball was played into the box and cleared.  The ball fell kindly for Greg Barker who hit an unstoppable strike from thirty yards that beat the outstretched arm of Brookes.  1-2.

Brookes is finally beaten by Barker.

Falcon pile on the pressure looking for the equaliser.

A good knee in the small of the back (Ouch)

The climbing frame provides an excellent vantage point for the young supporters.  Young chav with big bling (Left).

Getting a tan.

The nearest the Falcon got to an equaliser.  A great cross from the right was met by a powerful header but unfortunately for the home side it went straight into the barrel chest of Brookes.

On 85 minutes Falcon pressed the self-destruct button.  On a rare second half foray upfield led to a poor looping back pass from the Falcon defender.  Unfortunately, keeper Spencer made a complete hash of it as he dropped the ball at the feet of the adavancing Dodsworth who made up for his first half miss.  1-3.  Game over.

Dodsworth wins the game for C&G as the Falcon players can only stand horrified with hands on head.

The final whistle goes.

Final Score : Falcon FC 1 – 3 C&G Electrical FC

A good win for C&G who find themselves fourth in the Division 3A table this evening after completing a rare league double over the Falcon.  Their forwards are pacey on the break and this was the main factor in the opening two goals.  In the second half they were under the cosh for most of it but they defended well.  Special mentions for the skipper and the keeper who kept minds focussed at the back.

Falcon played well but appear to lack a little self belief.  Their back four collectively isn't quick enough to defend on the halfway line and it cost them two early goals. Going forward they were excellent at times with Mike Banks catching the eye in midfield.  Most of the chances came from or via him.  The third goal was a killer and keeper Spencer has to take the blame for it although the miss-hit clearance shouldn't have been anywhere near him in the first place.  If they get sorted defensively they could do well this season.  Well refereed by Mr Bates and not a bad tackle in the match.

This week's winner of the 'Sporty' and football was C&G keeper Chris Brookes who won the Teamsport90 Man of the Match.  He may be 43 but his agility and positioning saved his team on countless occasions playing a large part in the victory.  He's recently moved to the area from Yorkshire and he's looking for a Saturday side to play for.  Ex pro recently of Silsden FC in the North West Counties. 

Sportspy 2008/09

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.