Sportspy Reports – Sunday August 17th 2008.

It was off to Broadwaters today to watch the Gledhill Cup tie between Teamsport FC of 3A and Marshall Court FC of 2B. 

With Sportspy enjoying the sunshine, Sangria and Paella, it was a relatively short journey for me to Thornton to watch Rossall Tavern of 2A take on The Stable Bar of 3A.  Despite the best efforts of the Rossall players to clear the pitch of water, and attempts to stage the game elsewhere the referee finally called the game off.

Tryng to clear the pitch at Thornton – a fruitless task.

So it was off to Broadwaters to find a Gledhill Cup game.  The only one that had survived the weather was Teamsport FC versus Marshall Court.  Both sides started the season with a win so it would be interesting to see how 3A faired against 2B.

I arrived just after kick-off, Teamsport having the advantage of the slope and the wind.  Marshall Court threatened first and the Teamsport keeper had to be on his toes to make an eye catching save diving at the feet of the Marshall Court player.

After replacing their keeper, Marshall Court took the lead on 15 minutes.  A free kick was swung in from the left, which was not dealt with by the Teamsport rearguard and Chris Rosewas on hand to slot the ball home.  Teamsport responded well and just moments later they were level.  Simon Bradley made the home side pay when they failed to clear the danger.  On 25 minutes Teamsport were in front when Mike McDowell slammed home.

Just before the half hour Teamsport went 3-1 up.  A shot from Darren Baker was parried well by the Marshall Court keeper, however, Bradley was on hand to pounce on the rebound to secure his brace.  Marshall Court nearly got themselves back into the game but were denied by the outstretched leg of Pritchard.

With 8 minutes of the half remaining came the goal of the game.  Marshall Court were again guilty of not clearing their lines, Bradley got hold of the ball and sent an exquisite 25 yard curling effort into the top corner to complete his hatrick and make to 4-1.

In the second half Marshall Court tried to get back into the game, and went close with an effort that had Pritchard scrambling across his goal.  10 Minutes into the second half, Teamsport went further in front.  The Marshall Court keeper didn't deal with a cross as effectively as he might have, putting out for a corner.  The resultant corner came across and Gary McSpurren managed to nod the ball home, with the Marshall Court defender helping it on its way.

Don't worry I've got it lads.

I've still got it lads.

Oh s**t!

Teamsport had chances to make it 6 but were denied by a great save from the Marshall Court keeper, and a woeful header missing the target from six yards out, when it looked easier to score.

Marshall Court did have the ball in the net, but it was ruled out for offside.  Final score 5-1 to Teamsport.

Hatrick hero Simon Bradley – I hope he keeps his eyes open in front of goal!

A good game to watch and played in the right spirit – not a yellow card or talking to from the referee in sight.  A fair result with Teamsport worthy winners, although Marshall Court did contribute to their own downfall with the mistakes that led to the Teamsport goals.

Sportspy 2008/09

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.