Sportspy Reports – Sunday April 6th 2008.

Back to Boundary Park once again to watch the three semi-finals being played in the Division 2 and Division 3 Cup competitions.  Pictures from this morning's Gledhill sem-final played between holders Quilligans FC and McDonald Property FC will also be published in a 'Sportspy Extra'.

Music ? Click here.

Usually, the winter period for Fylde Coast Sunday football starts in early November and finishes by the end of February.  Not so this year.  Even as we head for mid April the temperatures remain low and despite the sunshine at Boundary Park the thermometer was still nowhere near the 10 degree mark.  It hasn't been on a Sunday in 2008.  There were only three semi finals being played as the match between The Fairhaven FC and MA2 FC was played a few weeks back.  Fairhaven FC reached the final of the Division 3 Cup following a 3-2 win.

First up was the remaining Division 3 Cup semi-final.  Fellow 3A sides Progress Sports & Social FC (Light blue) were playing FC Excelsior.  It was Excelsior who took the lead following a good start but over the 90 minutes Progress were just a little too strong for them and made it through to next week's final with a 4-2 win.

The Progress keeper.

On 6 minutes Excelsior take the lead following a header by Shaun Lonsdale that bounced in off the underside of the crossbar.

The joy wasn't to last.

Shaun Meehan gets a talking to from Mr Ayre.

Craig Worrall (Right).

A good tip over from the Excelsior keeper.

And then a great take amongst the flying boots.

Next in front of the fyldesport camera was the Division 2 Cup semi final between 2B side Fleetwood Car Centre against 2A's Great Eccleston.  I was watching for fifteen minutes either side of half time and there wasn't a lot of action on offer.  In the end an Anthony Warwick strike was enough to put the Car Centre in the final following a 1-0 win.

On 33 minutes there was firstly a defensive slip and secondly a big shout for offside but the flag stayed down.  Warwick (obscured) puts the blues in front – it was to prove to be the match winner.

Terry Hargreaves.

'Doobs' in nets for the car Centre this morning.

Tipped around the post by the Eccleston keeper.

Anthony Warwick.

Down injured.

“We used to take throw-ins like this in my day”.  Eccleston secretary High Glancy.

Poor free-kick

Saving the best until last.  The most exciting tie on offer today at Boundary Park was the Division 2 Cup semi-final between Ward Heating FC and Fleetwood Car Centre FC.  Highfield were well up for this one and played well throughout.  At half time the score was 1-1 and when Highfield took the lead not long into the second period it looked as though we may have had a shock on our hands.  However, a Barney Woolcock equaliser took the game into extra time and after 30 minutes of stalemate Ward Heating reached their second successive Divisional Cup final by winning 3-1 on penalties.  A good performance from Highfield who were the better team for long periods.

Highfield celebrate Johnny Fee's first half equaliser.

Father and son on the line assisting referee John Hornsby.  Here's Pete Lamb.

………..and son 14 year old Alex who barvely stepped in at the last minute as we were a liner short.  Well done Alex.

Ward keeper Lee Bonney.

Highfield supporters invade the pitch as their side goes 2-1 ahead.

John Hornsby.

Graham Hutchinson getting stuck in.

Expectant father Barney Woolcock (Left).  Prettier in the black of PPM.

Ward skipper Nigel Marlow.

On yer head Jim.


Over Bonney's head but fortunately for him the ball also looped over the bar.

Good block as Highfield turn up the pressure.

Chris Pickering with the throw.

Stop thief!  Is Ward Heating manager Mick Hutchinson havin it away with the trophy or just returning last season's Division 3 Cup to the home of Dennis Peters?  Whatever it was he knows he's fortunate to still have one hand on the Cup after this morning's game.

Sportspy 2007/08

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.