Sportspy Reports – Sunday March 30th 2008.

Boundary Park, Blackpool was the venue for the second week running.  Four Divisional Cup semi-finals were taking place on adjacent pitches as teams strived to reach the Premier and Division 1 Cup finals.

Music? Click here

Bright and breezy once again at Boundary Park as the four Divisional Cup semi finals for the Premier Division and Division 1 took place at the venue.  Yesterday's heavy rain left a little standing water in the goalmouths but overall the surface was in a decent condition.

First up was the Division 1 Cup semi final between CTK FC and Bispham Juniors FC.  At the end of 90 minutes the score was 1-1 and after Bispham had scored twice in the first period of extra time it looked as though it was all over and I headed for home.  Wrong!  CTK FC fought back to take the match to penalties where they triumphed10-9.  A good fighback and good luck to them in the final.

Neutral linesman.

Wayne Taylor.

Tony Zak (Left), one of the game's twelve referees.

Steve Taylor

Joe Greatrex

Bispham Juniors' (??) Gez Currey.

A nasty tackle in extra time, Greatrex acknowledging the offence.

A fortunate yellow.

Let me help you off.

The Juniors take the lead in extra time – keeper should have had it.

Bispham make it 3-1 from the penalty spot.

A busy morning for Mr Zak.

On the adjacent pitch we had Wrea Green FC taking on Red Rose Catering FC for a place in the Premier Division Cup final.  A close game this one but Red Rose Catering's recent good run of form continued with a 1-0 win.  Andy Manning's side enhanced their reputation as one of the BFSFA' stop cup sides as they reached their fourth final in three seasons.

Veteran whistler Dave Taylor running the line.

Youngster Lee Willetts in charge of this one.


Scholesy on the break.

Wrea Green FC manager Dennis Halliday.

John Beavers

The other Division 1 Cup semi final featured Fylde Coast Gates FC and the Waterloo Hotel FC.  The Waterloo are also looking forward to the forthcoming Gledhill Cup semi final.  A great game to watch this one for the neutral.  Seven goals and hardly a bad tackle all game.  In the end Gates reached their second successive Divisional Cup final with an exciting 4-3 win.

Paul 'Subby' Sumner of Waterloo grappling with Gates' Henry Wright.

Mark Lisgo

Henry Wright (10 Blue) looks as though he's surrounded but the talented winger still managed to find the net.  (Daz – look at all those defenders!)

Waterloo forwards Matt Derby (left) and Dean Chadwick

Martin Percival.

Waterloo keeper Kev Kennerley with a brave punch.

Steve Crealman (Far side) hits a dipping volley from the edge of the box and scores for Gates.

Pick that one out.

Referee Max Cobb.

The Waterloo make it 3-3 through Derby.

Penalty for Gates and I've been reading the camera manual.

Automatic shutter – a handy feature.

Kennerley goes the right way and saves it.

The ball is cleared.

The Gates keeper.

Wayne 'Jar Jar' Binks pops up for the winner and his mobbed by his team mates.

Percival sees Red.

Last but by no means least we had the Premier Division Cup semi-final between Northern Care FC (Orange) and Layton Institute FC.  Another cracking tie this one.  For long periods Layton were much the better team and with a little more composure in front of goal they may have won it.  Northern were good on the break and in the end only a penalty separated the sides as Northern went through to the final with a 3-2 win.

Leave it alone.

Layton are awarded a free-kick with the score at 1-0 to Northern.  The taker bends it out wide.

Still looks as though it's going wide.

Post ?

Goal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jamie Cooke is beaten.  The scores are level.

Nice shiner.

Adie Hunt is clean through for Northern and fires it home through the keeper's legs.  2-1.

Terry Green.

Just wide for Layton.

Just wide again, this time from a header.

A good vantage point from the battle bus.

“Don't even think about it you flee-bitten hound.”

Mark Meehan equalises for Layton.  That's why players get yellow cards for going topless. 2-2.

Adie Hunt

Moments later referee Mr Ayre awarded Northern Care FC a penalty for a deliberate push in the Layton area. 

Scott Waters lashes it home.

3-2 GET IN THERE !!!

Heartbreak for Braveheart.

The final whistle goes.

Thanks.  Good game.

Northern Care FC are through.  Let the celebrations begin.

Sportspy 2007/08

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.