BFSFA win the Carberry Cup.

At the Preston Sports Arena tonight the BFSFA representative side were up against the Preston Sunday league representative team.  Following a great performance the Carberry Cup was brought back to the Fylde Coast after a 3-1 victory.

Apologies for the poor pictures but the camera struggles in the gloom.

BFSFA Representative squad 2007/08

The match was underway with Preston in their white and black and the BFSFA in an appropriate tangerine and white strip.  After the early exchanges Blackpool had most of the offensive possession forcing a string of corners that were expertly delivered by Swallow although nobody could get on the end of them.  Last minute call up Chris Cairns was causing problems for the Preston defence and Sam Gorrie was busy down the right flank.

On 17 minutes Blackpool took the lead.  There looked to have been an infringement just inside the Preston box but play continued and Danny Rowe with one of his first touches of the game hit a low powerful drive across the keeper and into the far corner.

Two minutes later and Blackpool were two up.  Sam Gorrie did very well to chase back and win the ball from a Preston offensive move.  The ball was played to Joe Booth who showed great foresight to lob the keeper from inside the centre circle.  The ball hit the net without bouncing. A quality strike that will live long in the memory for all those who witnessed it.

The Preston side were dangerous and played some good football to feet.  On 28 minutes they were awarded a free kick.  It was floated in a Preston header came back off the post – unlucky.

On 35 minutes the home side pulled one back.  A defensive slip by Jon Simmons allowed Preston striker Alex Rendall a clear run in on goal.  Being 2-0 down many strikers would have shot early but the player showed great composure to dance around Blackpool keeper Tony Clowes and smash it home.

Three minutes later and Preston were almost level.  Paul Paynter went on a powerful run, he beat a couple of players and burst into the box but his low shot was well saved by Clowes who stood up well to him.  Preston finishing the half the stronger.

Half time score :  Preston Sunday League 1 – 2 BFSFA

Presston started off the second half where they had left off.  Almost immediately they forced a corner which came back off the post.  Further corners were created and Blackpool were looking a little shaky at the back.

For the first fifteen minutes of the second half Preston were pressing hard for an equaliser but eventually Blackpool once again began to pick up the pace.  On 67 minutes Robbie Boal fired in a thirty yard drive that the keeper could only palm away.  It fell to Danny Rowe but although he did well to keep the fast moving ball down he hit it wide.

A minute later and the two goal cushion was restored.  The awesome Cairns was once again making the defenders dizzy with his close ball control.  A little shimmy took him to the by-line and his pinpoint cross found the unmarked head of Tony Swallow who made no mistake from eight yards.

Blackpool then put in a hard fifteen minutes of defensive play all over the pitch and although Preston never gave up they rarely failed to trouble second half keeper Dave Stevenson.  In the end they ran out deserved winners and few could argue with the end result. 

Final score :  Preston Sunday League 1 – 3 BFSFA

Despite a few last minute selection headaches BFSFA manager Mark Spedding was more than happy with the result.  Many players put in big performances and everyone of them played well.  Worthy of special mention were Sam Gorrie who was outstanding in the first half as was Joe Booth in midfield.  It's good to see Tony Swallow returning to full fitness and his work rate was exceptional this evening.  Chris Morris was solid in the heart of the defence.  My man of the match goes to Chris Cairns who had a stormer.  He won loads of ball in the air, held it up well rarely giving it away, created the killer third goal and kept the Preston defence busy for the full ninety minutes.

Well worth the trip and I look forward to watching the Carberry Cup being defended back in Blackpool next season.

A bit murky but BFSFA goal scorers Tony Swallow (Left), Joe Booth (Centre) and Danny Rowe.

Sportspy 2007/08

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.