Mick Elgee.

News has reached us of the untimely death of local footballer Mick Elgee who sadly lost his life last night in the Cleveley's garage collapse along with friend Daryl Hutchinson.  


Picture courtesy of Broughton Amateurs AFC.

Mick Elgee, 39, has been a familiar face on the Fylde Coast amateur footballing scene for many years.

The Blackpool born forward has turned out for a whole host of clubs both on a Saturday and Sunday.  This season Mick has been turning out for Northern Care Reserves FC in Division 1.  Northern Care FC's 1st team game against Red Rose Catering FC has been called off tomorrow as a mark of respect.

Mick was also heavily involved with Broughton Amateurs FC where he was assistant player/manager. The forward/winger also used to play for three of our Saturday sides in the shape of Wren Rovers, Squires Gate and Blackpool Mechanics.

On a Sunday he played for Matrix, Lancashire Double Glazing, Whiteheads TV, H & A, The Mortgage Shop, Arcadian, Reform FC and top nineties side West Coast Transmissions FC who reached the Gledhill final on three occasions.

Sincere condolences to the family, friends and team-mates of Mick Elgee from all of those involved in the Fylde Coast amateur footballing community.

If you wish to add a tribute then website 'members' may wish to add a comment to this story.  Alternatively, you can send me an E-Mail to sportspy22@aol.com and I'll add the content to this article.  I'd also be grateful for any pictures of Mick that I can post.  If possible, please E-Mail them to me.

Gledhill Cup quarter-finalists Queens FC (Left) and Waterloo Hotel FC observe a minutes silence for Mick Elgee at Commonedge Road on Sunday January 13th 2008.

Story taken from the Blackpool Evening Gazette ;

Two men killed after garage collapses

The scene of the accident

The scene of the accident

TWO men were killed after a garage collapsed on top of them.  They were demolishing the building last night at the rear of a bungalow in Rossall Road, Cleveleys, when it caved in, trapping them both under the rubble.

Fire crews from Bispham and Fleetwood were at the scene within minutes as a massive rescue operation – involving 35 firefighters – was launched. Police and ambulance teams joined the frantic rescue bid while specialist search and rescue crews were drafted in. Tragically their efforts were in vain as both men died at the scene. 

Station manager Simon Bone of Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said: “Two fire engines responded to a report of a male trapped under the rubble of a collapsed garage at 6.20pm. “Upon arrival fire officers were faced with a detached brick and concrete garage where the roof of the garage had collapsed inside leaving two side walls unstable.

“When further investigations were conducted it was established a second male was also trapped beneath the rubble of a concrete roof.”

“Fire crews and our Urban Search And Rescue crew from Leyland used specialist lifting equipment to release the casualties.” Police sealed off a large area as firefighters tried to rescue the trapped men from the property which is near the junction of Westmorland Avenue.

At 9.45pm an Ambulance Service spokeswoman confirmed one man had died. Forty five minutes later they said a second man had been pulled dead from the rubble. A spokeswoman for the North West Ambulance Service said:

“We were called to deal with two male casualties from this incident. Both were declared dead at the scene.”

Officers from the Health and Safety Executive are now at the scene to investigate the cause of the collapse. A spokeswoman said: “The details we have at this stage is two men were demolishing a garage which collapsed on top of them.”Both men have died.” Police and emergency crews left the scene at 11pm and the road was re-opened.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.