Sportspy Reports – Sunday November 25th 2007.

My first visit to see Sunday Football at Lytham Cricket Club.  The Fairhaven FC were taking on Waterloo Sports & Social FC in a Division 3A league fixture.

Music? Click here.

It certainly wasn't the weather for cricket this morning at the picturesque venue of Lytham Cricket Club but at least conditions had improved considerably from 24 hours ago.  For home side Fairhaven this is their second season in the BFSFA.  Last season they did brilliantly in their debut season to finish fifth in Division 3B behind Cash & Carry Kitchens, The Royal FC, Secure Health FC and Ward Heating FC.

This morning manager Darren Openshaw's side were in fifth place.  The side started very poorly and were heavily beaten by Pump & Truncheon Celtic 6-1 on the opening day of the season.  Even at this relatively early stage of the campaign I would be very surprised if the Division 3A league winners didn't come from one of the current top five sides.  The Fairhaven are the outside bet at the moment as they've dropped too many points against sides in the lower half.  However, with four league wins from the last five they're in good form at present.  A win this morning was essential if they were to try and keep in touch with the top four.

Waterloo Sports & Social FC are new to Sunday football this season.  Manager Terry Wallis has a young squad mainly made up of players who were still playing junior football this time last year.  The table showed that Waterloo were third in the table this morning.   They're doing very well and gaining experience with every match.  Thus far though they've lost to the top two (Autoweld and Progress) and drawn with Eden.  They'll have to pick up another gear if they're to win silverware.

In the Gledhill Cup they too received a first round bye.  They then had a great result in Round 2 beating Spindles but were rapidly brought back to earth in Round 3 when they lost 7-0 to the Saddle.  They've received a tough draw in the opening round of the Division 3 Cup on December 16th when they make the short trip to Autoweld FC.  Despite losing a number of players to Saturday football the team have regrouped and are still very much in with a chance of promotion.

These sides initially met in the league on 26th August when the Waterloo won 3-0.  Could the Fairhaven take their revenge this morning?  The signs looked good as Waterloo were struggling for players due to an over enthusiastic celebration of an 18th birthday last night.

The man in charge today was referee Paul Tuffy and he finally got the game underway at 11:13 with Fairhaven in the grey kit kicking towards the railway line.  This has to be the best pitch on the Fylde for Sunday football as you might expect from a cricket outfield.  No water, no mud, fully grass covered and flat as a snooker table.  Still, at

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.