Match Report – Real Kingsfield 2 Waterloo Hotel 5

The celubrious venue of Stanley Park Oval played host to the Division One fixture today between Real Kingsfield and Waterloo Hotel FC.

Real Kingsfield FC

Waterloo Hotel FC

Probably the longest-running club in The Alliance, Kingsfield certainly have the longest serving manager in the wily Roy Atkinson. They have yo-yoed between the Prem and Division One over the last few seasons but have one of the best home grounds in the league in Stanley Park Oval.Kingsfield finished 8th in Division One last seaosn with 9 wins, 1 draw and 14 defeats, their purple patch coming at the end of November when successive wins over CTK, Dunes and Philly were earned.  For this season Atkinson has added some talent from the lower divisions to his squad, signing Ben Heatley and Lee Watts from Tabot Sports, David Edge from Uncle Toms Cabin and striker Dean Sheard from Little Fat Jacks.Last week they travelled to Common Edge to play Bloomfield Vets, narrowly losing 2-1.

Waterloo Hotel were Brannigans First team last season, finishing 5th under the management of Daz Meehan. Poor results against the teams above them probably prevented promotion but they more than held their own with the others, finishing with 11 wins, 4 draws and 9 defeats.Departed from last season's squad is striker John Emery, now with West Coast Tackle Postal. Moving in the other direction though came Rob Higgins and Dean Chadwick. Other newcomers to the squad include Chris and Neil Truby and Matt Horne from last season's Waterloo side, Neil Charles from Burlington, Paul 'Subby' Sumner from Ansdell and Jimmy Duckworth from Mythop Leisure.With no game last sunday, Waterloo were looking to make a good start to this season especially with new sponsor John Horne, landlord of The Waterloo and former Rugby League professional, in the stands.In the head-to-heads last season honours were shared, each team losing at home to the other.

5 minutes in and Mark Truby's powerful shot finds the net

Within 5 minutes Waterloo had opened their season's account. Midfielder Mark Truby collected a throw in from Mark Lisgo on the left, cut inside and lashed his shot into the top corner from 25 yards. 0-1.

A few minutes later Waterloo's Derby was fouled by Gareth Evans inside the centre circle. Centre half Marc Green took the kick and decided to go for goal. Maybe the bars at The Oval are a tad high but the Kingsfield keeper struggled as the ball crept in over his outstetched hands for 0-2.

Green's free kick beats the keeper from 40 yards

Kingsfield were lively up front, Cox and Sheard proving quite a test for Waterloo's back four with their movement and physical strength. The main threat though was coming from long-throws and corners with Waterloo tending to enjoy more possession in open play.

Waterloo clear another long throw

Marc Green (left), marking Dean Sheard

Kingsfield Manager Roy Atkinson (centre)

Waterloo's Matt Derby (tangerine)

Top scorer last season Matt Derby opened his account for 2007-08 on 30 minutes. Collecting the ball with his back to goal in the area from Brett Baker's pass he spun, rode a challenge then poked home for 0-3.

Derby takes the plaudits for his goal

Gaz Jakins (centre) gets up well

Kingsfield's Anthony Cox (far left) goes close with a flicked header

Half time – Real Kingsfield 0- 3 Waterloo Hotel

Waterloo Keeper Matt Horne with an impressive debut, even if he does have some unorthodox methods of dealing with opposition forwards

Horne plucks another cross out of the air

5 minutes into the second half Waterloo made it 4-0, debutant forward Dean Chadwick slotting home.

The suspended Martyn Percival of Waterloo Hotel

Kingsfield then decided, at 4-0 down, to start playing. Atkinson threw 3 up front and it didn't take long to pay off as veteran striker Anthony Cox rammed home for 1-4.

The Waterloo back line

Subs were then made, with Waterloo bringing on Sumner and Neil Truby. Kingsfield continued to pile the pressure on and were rewarded again when Dean Sheard netted for 2-4.

Sheard blazes over in the second half

With Kingsfield pushing, Waterloo played on the counter but were frustrated by the offside flag on several occasions.The match was wrapped up though on 85 minutes, a header from Dean Chadwick for his second and Waterloo's 5th of the game.

Full time – Real Kingsfield 2, Waterloo 5.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.