Sportspy Reports – Sunday October 22nd 2006.

Calling in at four Lancashire Sunday Trophy ties at Boundary Park, Commonedge Road and the first ever match at the newly re-opened Collins Park.

Music ? Click here

Today saw Round 3 of the Lancashire Sunday Trophy.  The BFSFA had eleven sides due to compete although the wet weather was responsible for the Cahoots game being postponed.

A late change of venue saw the Bispham Hotel FC of Division 2A host the Griffin Head FC of the Accrington & District Sunday League.  They're unfortunately 'invisible' on the world wide web so there's little else I can tell you about them apart from the fact that they play in the Harry Dewhurst Accrington Memorial League and that they reached Round 3 by beating T&S Northwest FC 3-1 in Round 2.

As for the Bispham Hotel manager Dave Connor he was no doubt grateful for the diversion away from league acion.  Their only victories of the season so far have come in Cup competitions.  After a 1st round bye in the Gledhill they  beat Blackpool Catholic Club in Round 2 before going out in Round 3 to Prem side Golden Eagle despite a creditable performance.

Another first round bye in this competition took them into Round 2 and an away trip to Darwen Victoria.  They came away with a famous 3-2 victory and just as importantly enjoyed a great day celebrating.  As for league form – Don't mention it.  Along with Kingsfield Matrix of Division 1 they're the only BFSFA side still to get a point on the board.  After seven games they're now four points adrift at the bottom.

Mild, bright and breezy on the coast this morning. 

Bispham Hotel FC (Manager Dave Connor back left)

Griffin Head FC – (Manager Nick Whittaker back left.)

A good turn out of WAGS from Accrington this morning.

These girls were 'Hot' as shown by the sexy footwear they were sporting.  These are what the lads go for in Accy.

Dave Connor.  He told me he'd be making an appearance to change the game if his side were in trouble.

I was only in attendance for the first thirty minutes.  It was fairly even with both sides threatening.  It was the visitors who opened the scoring.  A through ball down the right wing was badly missed by the otherwise impressive Simon Broscombe.  This allowed the forward through on the keeper and he was hacked down by the Bispham stopper.  Referee Ian Rose had no hesitation in pointing to the spot.  Penalty.

Martin Parker makes no mistake in putting Griffin Head FC 0-1 up.

Growling Dennis Peters, BFSFA committee legend, keeps a watchful eye on proceedings.

Griffin go close once more.

Bispham Hotel keeper Neil 'Mooky the Clown' Barratt so called because the doors of his last car fell off when he drove it down Red Bank Road,

This was a match between two sides that were struggling in their respective leagues.  In the end it was the visitors Griffin Head FC who romped to an 8-1 win.

It was then a quick dash to Commonedge Road.  Over the ditch on Pitch 8 Blackburn and District side Ossy Stop & Rest FC were the visitors for their third round tie against Fylde Coast Gates FC of 2B.  Ossy had a walkover against Gregson Lane Wanderers in Round 2 whilst Gates beat the Punchbowl Inn 5-3.  Gates, third in the league this morning, have had a great start to the season.  When I got there the score was level at 1-1.

The Ossy keeper throws it out.

The away contingent

Moments after the above picture was taken they were not happy as referee Wolfenden awarded the home side a penalty.  I dodn't see the incident as it was at the far end of the pitch.  Dependable Chris Shields stepped up and converted.  He's yet to miss one this season.  The goal coming aginst the run of play.  2-1.

Shields (Rudely hidden by Wolfenden) scores from the spot.

An Ossy player agrees with the Gates liner's decision

Mr Wolfenden

Chris Shields.

Simon Oswell (Right)

At the end of the game it was the BFSFA side that came out on top with an excellent 3-2 victory.  A brilliant result.  Fylde Coast Gates will now play the BFSFA's very own Clarence Hotel FC in Round 4.  Mr Shields will be looking forward to that one.

On the adjoining pitch Premier Division side Arcadian FC were entertaining Littleborough FC who were last season's Rochdale Sunday League Champions.  Currently, they're second in their Division behind Copperpot FC.  Last season they went out in Round 3 but this season they started in fine form beating Beehive FC 10-0 in Round 2 after a first round bye. 

Home side Arcadian were in eighth place in the Premier Division this morning.

Littleborough were 7-2 up when I arrived.  With the wind behind them they'd blitzed Arcadian by going 6-0 up after fifteen minutes.  The half time score was 7-2.

Scott Waters.

The Littleborough FC keeper.

Arcadian go close

Back on their feet.

Now against the wind Littleborough FC were still on the attack.  Here's the aftermath of 2-8.

I left the Arcadian boys to their misery clearly in no mood for further photo's.  In the end the Rochdale side scored ten for the second round in succession.  4-10 the final score.  Littleborough FC must surely be one of the favourites for this competition.

Finally, it was over to Collins Park to catch the last twenty minutes of the Quilligans v AFC Longridge tie.  It was good to see this venue in use again for the first time this season.  The close season re-laying of the pitch having resulted in an eleven week delay. 

AFC Longridge were 10th in the Preston Premier Division this morning.  Last season these two sides met in Round 4 when Quilligans came away from Preston with a 2-1 win.

At half time it was 1-1 and when I got there Quilligans had just conceded a soft equaliser to make the score 2-2. 

It's not every day you have a football ground named after you (Especially when you're still living) but BFSFA secretary Peter Collins was out watching the first game of the season at the recently re-named 'Collins Park'.

Quilligans were pushing for a winner and after going close a couple of times they finally made the breakthrough.  A long ball from Roberts found Wayne Gardiner on-side.  His pace took him to the ball faster than the advancing keeper and he made no mistake with a skilfull lob into the back of the net.  Brave and composed, a classy finish.

There's one happy manager as Gardiner is mobbed after making it 3-2.

Steve Palmer.

A good save at the feet of Broadbent.

Wayne Gardiner (Centre)

Well over the bar.

3-2 was the final score.  All though the last twenty minutes was all Quilligans the visitors played well today and provided Quilligans with a stern test.  Quilligans are one of four of our sides definitely through.  They face the winners of Bradley Wanderers FC and New Farington House FC away in Round 4.

Olivia Broadbent celebrates the win with a hot dog alongside dad Lee. He's a big softy really.

Sportspy 2006/07

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.