Sportspy Extra – Thursday October 19th 2006.

Under the floodlights at Blackpool Wren Rovers FC watching the BFSFA Represenative side return to action after a long absence.  The Preston Sunday League Representative side were the visitors for the first leg of the Carberry Cup.

It was good to see the BFSFA Representative side back in action once again after such a long break.  The Preston Sunday league were the visitors to Blackpool Wren Rovers FC for the 1st Leg.

The BFSFA Representative squad 2006/07

The Preston Sunday League Representative squad 2006/07

Tonight's officials.  Referee Dave Wolfenden flanked by Mr Parr (Left) and Mr Tuffy.

The camera wasn't up to the floodlit conditions so apologies for the lack of decent pictures.  It was unusual not to be the neutral for a change but here's my effort at being fair and balanced.

The BFSFA played a 4-4-2 formation.  Quilligan's new keeper Rick Whiteside was in goal.  The fullbacks were Tom Porter (Poulton) on the right and Paul Roberts (Quilligans) on the left.  The centre halves were Steven Brooks (Highbury) and Conn Methven (Arcadian). 

Across the middle from left to right were Tony Swallow (Layton Institute), Robbie Boal and Steve Palmer (Both Quilligans) and Micky Horsfall (Arcadian).  Starting up front were Danny Morris (Poulton) and Lee Broadbent (Quilligans)

Morris and Broadbent get the game underway

The game took a while to settle down and when it did the BFSFA had the first real opportunity.  A Horsfall free-kick was only half cleared.  The cross came back in and Brooks found himself unmarked at the far post.  He should have scored but his shot went wide.

Three minutes later Brooks turned provider.  His long pass found Danny Morris on-side.  Morris looked up and bent his shot onto the crossbar from distance.  The ball bounced down almost vertically before being desperately cleared.  Preston then went right up the other end and a dipping shot just went over the bar with Whiteside off his line.

Two minutes later Morris raced clear of his defender chasing another long ball.  He dinked the ball past the advancing keeper and it looked as though the ball would roll in but it bounced back off the post and was cleared.

On 21 minutes Preston created their best chance.  A throw-in from the left could only be headed back across goal by a BFSFA defender.  The ball fell kindly for a Preston player who shot towards goal and only a last ditch block by Boal stopped the visitors from taking the lead.

As the half progressed the BFSFA were having the greater share of possession and chances.  On the half hour a long cross found Broadbent unmarked.  He elected to shoot when a header looked the better option.  The keeper pulled off a good reaction save to keep the striker at bay.

On 35 minutes the BFSFA created the best move of the half.  There was initially some good hold up play from Broadbent who laid it back for Palmer.  He found the feet of Morris.  The young Poulton star looked up and curled another effort on to the top of the crossbar from twenty yards.  Very unlucky again.

On 40 minutes the visitors took the lead against the run of play.  Preston's best first half player was the left winger 'Ash' who's pace and trickery was giving Tom Porter lots of problems.  Unlike many wingers Ash came up with quality crosses at the end of his runs and it was from one great run and cross that the goal came. 
Ash reached the byline and whipped the ball across at pace,  The ball fell to number 8 who's shot flew into the top corner from just inside the box giving Whiteside no hope.  0 -1

Confidence boosted by the goal the visitors finished the half the stronger side.

A crowd of about 230 witnessed the spectacle.  Amongst the fans supporting the Blackpool side were Jason Dean (Left) and Jordan Whitehouse (Nephew of Arcadian player Dean Whitehouse)

The second half was a lot tighter than the first with very few chances of note to report on. 

The game was largely played out in the middle third of the pitch.  The best chances for the BFSFA fell to Roberts and Horsfall who both had decent efforts on goal from distance. 

In the second half Bracewell (Quilligans) replaced Porter at right back.  Martin Ogier (Clarence Hotel) came on in left midfield for Tony Swallow and Darren Hall (Red Rose Catering) replaced the impressive Danny Morris up front.

If the first half belonged to the BFSFA then the second belonged to Preston who looked comfortable on the ball all over the pitch.  The introduction of number 12 for the Preston side improved their possesion and chances in the BFSFA half giving them a better balance.

Final score :  BFSFA Rep Team 0 – 1 Preston Sunday League Rep Team

It was always going to a tough match and so it proved.  The BFSFA had enough chances in the first half to go into the interval ahead.  Danny Morris had a great first half and was unlucky to see all three of his fine efforts not find the net.

When Preston did score it was from a well worked goal with a quality cross and finish.  In the second half things went a little flat and to be honest neither side looked like scoring.

Man of the Match, chosen by BFSFA Secretary Peter Collins, was Paul Painter, the Preston skipper, for an awesome midfield display.

Good performances from the BFSFA especially by Morris up front and Paul Roberts at left back.  There's no doubting that the opponents were a strong quality outfit full of pace and strength but we showed in the first half that we can create chances and keep possession against them.

There's still everything to play for in the second leg in two weeks time.

Manager Mark Spedding said ;

“I thought we were very unlucky to lose 1-0 at Wrens tonight in the Carberry Cup inter league challenge.

We probably should have been 2-0 up at half time with young Mozzer desperately unlucky to see three efforts rattle the woodwork.

I thought everyone gave their all and the tie is still wide open, we're only 1-0 down at “half time” and we go to Preston in two weeks full of optimism for the second leg.

Although Kavan Ford's injury will rule him out, we will be strengthened by the return of Tommo, Suggy and Lee Catlow for the return game.

A coach is being arranged for this game, details for those wishing to travel with the team will be on the Quilligan's website as well as on”

Sportspy 2006/07

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.