Sportspy Reports – September 11th 2005

Out at Cottam Hall Poulton today.  In 3B the Windmill were at home to unbeaten Mythop Leisure.  Also in 3B Progress Property were at home to Stanley Arms Reserves and in the Premier Division newly promoted Harris & Co were away at SFC Poulton.

Music – Click here.

After we went into December last season there wasn't many more games played at this venue due to the dire state of the pitches so if there was a day to visit then this was certainly it. 

The pitches, although small and extremely narrow were in great nick, the clement weather making for ideal conditions for Sunday football.  In the main match new team the Windmill FC were taking on the league leaders Mythop Leisure.  Mythop were two points clear of Blackpool Rangers this morning after having had five straight wins.  In the Gledhill last week they pulled off a famous victory against Premier Division side Cahoots FC. 

The Windmill FC were knocked out of the Gledhill by Print Plus FC.  They were eleventh in Division 3B this morning.  After losing the first three they beat Skye FC last time out and were relishing the challenge of taking on the leaders today.

The Windmill FC

Mythop Leisure FC

Mythop left back Gez Welch (Maroon)

Kev Shurmer (Right) up for the header.

On five minutes the Windmill FC took the lead.  The Mythop defence were fast asleep from a throw in by Chris Walton.  His accurate delivery found the head of Simon Robinson who's well directed header found the bottom corner giving keeper Glenn Bould little chance of saving it.  1-0.

Five minutes later and the equaliser came from another set-piece.  The mercurial talent that is Jimmy Duckworth was displaying his right wing trickery.  Quick feet and a low centre of gravity beat his shellshocked opponent and forced a corner.  The flag kick was whipped in by Matt Blant and Kevin Shurmer found the bottom corner with a snapshot from eight yards out 1-1.

No referees yet again for the two Division 3B matches being played at Cottam Hall.  Mythop manager Matt Smith stepped in to officiate and did a creditable job in the first half.  The game being played in a great spirit.  On fourteen minutes the Windmill failed to clear on the edge of their own area.  The defence appeared to be distracted by a Mythop shout for hand ball.  Mythop player Ian Johnson kept his concentration and from twenty five yards hit a falling ball sending a majestic dipping volley into the far corner.  The Windmill keeper Darren Fox could only stand and admire it.  A surefire contender for goal of the season.  1-2.

The Mythop contingent celebrate Johnson's special with another cup of Bovril as the 11:04 to Preston flies by.

GET IN THERE !!!  Mythop's Mick 'Quinny' Harrison gets in where it hurts.

“What are those dad ?”  Windmill manager Dave Pearse endures an unpleasant task treating one of his players assisted by his young son.  The poor kid looked traumatised.  The players, supporters and your reporter certainly were.

Windmill keeper Fox gathers it safely.

Half Time :  Windmill 1-2 Mythop Leisure.

So when I moved on to the next game Mythop were 2-1 up.  A fine half by the underdogs Windmill proving that they can be more than a match against quality opposition.  In the second half however that quality paid dividends as Mythop ran out 6-1 winners.  They stay top tonight.  Seven straight wins now in all competitions looks like making Mythop the team to beat in Division 3B.

Also at Cottam Hall were SFC Poulton who were taking on newly promoted Harris & Co.  Poulton were in fifth this morning.  Wins against St Annes Ex Service and the Reform Health Club along with a draw against the Clarence had given them a good start considering the difficult round of opening fixtures they've been handed.  Their two league defeats had come against Highbury and the Reform Health Club. 

Today's visitors were Harris & Co.  They've had a great start in the top flight.  They were in seventh at start of play after winning two and losing two.  They lost their opening two games against Kingsfield and Reform but then came back strong to firstly beat McDonald Property before ending Highbury's long unbeaten record with a famous 4-3 win.  Last week they played well against Quilligans but went out in the Gledhill second round  following a 2-0 defeat.  When I arrived just into the second half the score was already 4-2 to Poulton.  They'd raced into a 3-0 lead before being pegged back to 3-2.  Just before half time they scored again to make it 4-2.

Poulton's Chris Apaloo

Yesterday I decided to give Blackpool FC a miss (Wise decision) and went to watch Wren Rovers beat Blackrod Town in a great team performance.  Tom Porter (Pictured above) had a good game  at centre half but picked up a booking.  He received his second of the weekend from Mr Zak who politely asks for his number in the above picture.

Before showing him the yellow card.  It was to be an eventful second period for Porter.

After Porter's indiscretion on the edge of the box the Poulton wall lines up to defend the resultant free kick.   Harris & Co's Andy Bradshaw stepped up and smashed the free kick high and handsome past the Poulton keeper.  A fantastic strike coming on 57 minutes.  4-3

The Bradshaw strike was bettered five minutes later by striker Ronnie Moss.  He'd missed one minutes earlier but made up for it when an outstretched left leg guided a perfect volley across the keeper into the far corner. 4-4.

Moss is congratulated by a team-mate.

Whilst young Morris stands with hands on head.

Worse was to come for Poulton as Harris took the lead.  A neat through ball from Lee Garrett found Moss on-side.  A quick look up was all it took before he slipped it underneath the advancing keeper.  Twenty minutes earlier Harris would have been grateful for a point but now they looked good for all three.  4-5.

Porter lies injured.

With about six minutes to go a free kick was played across the box for Poulton and there unmarked at the far post was Tom Porter to equalise with a wonderful far post volley to round off an interesting football weekend.  The final score finished 5-5.  Poulton manger Alan Cocker was far from happy with his team for relinquishing two 'two goal' leads but the lads came back well to grab a point near the end.  A spirited display from Harris & Co.

Finally, Progress Properties FC were at home to the Stanley Arms Reserves.  They were in fourth still unbeaten after three wins and a draw.  Opponents Stanley managed by ex team mate Owen Brooker were down in tenth after winning one and losing two.  When I arrived for the last ten minutes Progress were 2-0 up.  This week they'd re-claimed their blue kit after loaning it out to Newton Arms at Boundary Park last week.  

 Stanley Arms Reserves in green.  Clearly no lack of effort from this fella in the warm conditions this morning.  A few minutes after getting there Progress made it 3-0.  Andy Howarth forced his way into the box and shot across the keeper.  A good finish.

Progress Properties' Barney Woolcock (Left)

Stanley's Joseph Reeves.

Five minutes later and Stanley pulled one back with a great goal from Dave Bamber.  A long ball across the box found Bambi unmarked at the far post and his flying volley flew past the Progress keeper.  A class goal from a top striker.  Lot's of great goals at Cottam Hall today.

                  Stanley keeper Ant Jones.

Game over – Final score 3-1 to Progress and they stay in touch with the leaders this evening.

Sportspy 2005/06

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.