Sportspy Reports – August 21st 2005

  Eight matches were played on Commonedge Road this morning.  The pitches were brown, dusty and rock solid.  Hammers were required to get the net pegs in and corner flags were a rarity.  Still, there was plenty of good action to be seen.  Here’s a selection of photo’s from all eight matches.


Music ? – Click here

Little Fat Jacks have had an indifferent start since being promoted to Division 2A.  They were well beaten in their first league game by the Bispham Hotel and last week fell in the first round of the Gledhill after narrowly losing 3-2 to Clifton Rangers, a game in which they missed three penalties.  Today they were up against the Victory FC.  Their first two league games had been against the Old England. On the opening day of the season they were beaten 2-1 but last Wednesday evening they took revenge when winning 3-1.

This one looked close when I passed through and so it proved as the final score finished 2-2.  Jacks will be pleased to get that all important first point on the board in the higher Division.

In a late pitch change Highfield Social entertained the Reform Health Club in the Premier Division on Commonedge Pitch 1 rather than their usual home ground of Wren Rovers.  In the above picture the Highfield wall containing Chris Pickering (Centre) and Steve Baines (Left) prepares to do its job.

Highfield’s Gaz Hargreaves keeps a close watch on Reform striker Scott Waters.

There was little between these sides whilst I was watching with both teams going close at either end.  Reform had taken maximum points from the first three games whilst Highfield, with one win and a draw from their first three matches were on four points.   In the end Reform proved too strong for Highfield as they retained their 100% league record with a 3-1 win and go three points clear at the top tonight.

In Division 2B the Subway v Fleetwood Kings match started over twenty minutes late.  A colour clash of kits resulted in Kings having to wear the Subway’s change kit of yellow.  In the above picture King’s Alan Perkes is closely marked by the Subway defender.

After an early Subway goal Fleetwood Kings came back into the game strongly.  A neat pass over the top found Perkes on-side and he made no mistake from ten yards out.  Perkes’ equaliser earned him a big squeeze from one of his team mates whilst the keeper could only watch as the ball found the back of the net.  Kings had lost on the opening day in the league but last week bounced back with a 6-2 win over Autoweld in the Gledhill.  This was Subway’s first game of the season after they’d received a bye past Weeton in the Gledhill last week.  At the final whistle there was nothing betwen the teams as it finished all square at 2-2, a good result for both sides.

In Division 2A Talbot Sports (Pictured above) were at home to Claremont Cons.  On the same ground on Wednesday night a 1-0 win over the Bispham Hotel had moved them up to third place.  Opponents Claremont after having lost 3-2 to Sands up at Moor Park last week in a close game were looking to pick up their first points of the season.

Talbot score from the spot

Claremont Cons came out on top in this one with a 5-3 win.  Talbot will have been disappointed with that result but for Claremont it was just what was required to kick-start their season.

In Division 2B the Shovels FC (Yellow) were at home to the Links FC.  The Links had many players unavailable due to holiday commitments so they had no choice but to field only nine men.  The lack of numbers didn’t appear to do them much harm in the opening 45 minutes as they went into the half time interval 1-0 up.  The Links were playing great whilst the Shovels were poor to say the least.

Nigel Hough officiating in today’s Shovels v Links game.


After their opening day win against Brun Grove the Links were in fourth at start of play.  The Shovels were well beaten 5-0 by Christ the King in their first league match of the season and after a good win in the Gledhill last week they were trying to turn that good form into getting some league points.  In the end the numerical advantage paid dividends for the Shovels as they came back strongly in the second half to win 3-1.

Brannigan’s Jeff Blincow

One of the big games in Division 1 saw Brannigans FC (Maroon) host Bloomfield Vets.  Brannigan’s start in the league had been excellent following two impressive wins against the Philharmonic and Fleetwood Cricket Club.  Last week saw a disappointing Gledhill exit away at Wyre Villa.  The Vets’ start to the season has been average.  After a 0-0 draw against rivals Clifton Rangers on the opening day they were well beaten 8-3 by the Philharmonic in a midweek fixture.

Brannigan’s forward Simon Bowden is closely marked.

Vets’ Nick Carter uses Ian Nicholl’s nose to gain extra height

Carts glides in at the near post for one of Vets’ goals

This was the best game on offer for the neutral today.   Just in to the second half Brannigans were leading 2-1 but not playing well.  The Vets then had a great chance to equalise but Lee Miles header went wide when he really should have scored.  Brannigans took advantage and scored from the penalty spot to go 3-1 up.  The Vets looked down and out but they proved me wrong as they slowly clawed their way back into the match and eventually ran out 4-3 winners in a fabulous and spirited comeback.  Great entertainment for the neutral but Brannigan’s manager Daz Meehan won’t be happy man tonight.

Quilligan’s Robbie Boal.

On Prebonds Quilligans took on Bispham Juniors in the top Division.  After a disappointing 2-2 opening draw last weekend against McDonald Property Quilligans showed their quality in midweek with a 2-0 away win over much fancied the Clarence.  Bispham had opened their campaign with two score draws against Cahoots and the Golden Eagle.  Last season they were one of only two teams to beat Quilligans in the league.

Adam Pickering sporting a blue quiff for today’s encounter.

From early doors it was clear that it wasn’t going to be Bispham’s day.  Quilligans put in another very strong performance to end up winning by the comfortable margin of five goals to nil.

Last but not least we had the Burlington entertaining the Links Hotel Reserves (Red) in Division 3B.  The Burlington were out and about early for this one even troubling the moble caterer for bacon and sausage barmcakes before he’d even opened the shutters at 09:30.  The Burlington’s first two matches had been against the impressive Mythop Leisure who’d beaten them 8-0 and 4-2.  The Links Reserves had also been beaten by Mythop Leisure on the opening day and last week were well beaten in the Gledhill by the Bispham Hotel.  Both teams were out looking for their first win in the Alliance.

After a really close game the match epitomised the highs and lows of Sunday morning football when the Links grabbed an injury time winner from Martin Curry (Second left) who headed home in the dying moments.  The Link’s players and supporters went crazy whilst the Burlington slumped dejectedly.  Well done to the Links Reserves on getting their first ever Alliance win.

After 90 minutes for Reform, Micky Horsfall is still up for a bit of exercise, cycling home…

Sportspy 2005/06


0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.