Sportspy Reports – March 6th 2005

Sportspy Reports from Blackpool Mechanics and Commonedge Road.

Clifton Co-op FC cause a big upset in the Division 3 Cup semi final with an extra time win over Little Fat Jacks.

The action was also covered by the cameras of Granada Soccer Night

Music – Click here

Clifton Co-op FC were fourth in Division 3A this morning thirteen points behind today's opponents Little Fat Jacks who were riding high at the top of the league.  In the two league fixtures between the sides Jacks had done the double with a 6-2 away win in September followed by a 3-2 home win a month later.

Clifton have had a decent run themselves lately and if they carry on doing well they could grab that third spot and possible promotion.  Little Fat Jacks were strong favourites today.  Prior to the game they were the Alliance's most in form side following a run of sixteen games without defeat.

Absolutely perfect conditions for football this morning and with a big passionate crowd and the TV cameras in position everything was in place for a great match.  I couldn't compete with Rob McAffrey so I stuck around for a while to take a couple of photo's before having a wander around many of the other games on Commonedge before returning for extra time.

The Granada Soccer Night TV gantry is set up for the game.

Clifton Co-op supremo Colin sweeney gives his pre-match press conference.

The players of Little Fat Jacks FC bond together before the whistle.

Today's Cup Semi Final referee Tony Cunliffe.

Both teams were playing well in the first twenty minutes with Little Fat Jacks looking the more dangerous.  When I left it was still scoreless.  More on this game later down the page.

Over to the Prebond pitch to check in on the other semi.  On the way it was clear that the ruthless Sunday morning Commonedge traffic warden had struck again.  Just how much hard earned money have these evil blood suckers taken from Sunday footballers this season ?  DO NOT PARK ON THE ROAD !

In the other semi final Christ the King FC (White shirts) were taking on the Gynn FC

Referee John McDonald gesticulates.  In a close game Christ the King went on to win the game 2-1 and in so doing so reached their second successive Divisional Cup Final.  Last season they lost to Real Cahoots in the Division 4 Cup. 

Real Cahoots (White shirts) have been unconvincing in recent weeks.  They recaptured some form today in the 3A league encounter against Pump & Truncheon Celtic with a 5-0 victory.

Cahoot's striker Craig Byrom celebrates scoring a goal.

Floorline Direct FC continued their recent run of great form with a 3-0 win over Supreme FC (Blue shirts) in 3B

Referee Pete Dalton officiating in the Dudley Industries v Marton Institute fixture.  Although Marton went on to win the game 3-1 in the ten minutes I saw Dudley were playing really well and were very unlucky not to score on more than one occasion.

In the Prem Quilligans (Blue shirts) made it thirteen league wins in a row and yet another clean sheet with a 4-0 win over the Clarence.  In the above picture Paul Simpson (Obscured) nods home a corner.

In 3A MA2 FC (Blue) are having a good season and it continued today with a 1-1 draw away against Athletico Plough FC.

Referee Steve Waller very brightly attired for today's Plough v MA2 game.

In 3B the two form teams met when leaders Shovels took on Skye FC.  The Shovels extending their lead at the top with a narrow 2-1 victory.

Referee Colin Bascombe tries to avoid getting caught up in the action.

Back to the main game on Mechanics.  With ten minutes left it was still 0-0 but now Clifton were playing with more confidence pushing forward for a late winner but after ninety minutes it was still stalemate so we faced the prospect of extra time.

The players were able to enjoy a bit of a breather as they waited for the TV crew to finish interviewing referee Cunliffe.

At the end of the first period of extra time it was still 0-0.  Not long into the second half Clifton broke the deadlock.  Following a clash on the edge of the box the ball fell kindly for a Co-op striker and one on one with the keeper he coolly fired it into the top corner sparking a mini pitch invasion.  The Co-op comfortably held on to see out the rest of the period so it's they that go through to the final to play Christ the King (Date and venue to be arranged).  Commisserations to the Gynn and Jacks who lost out today.

The TV highlights of today's game (Don't miss it) are scheduled for Thursday March 17th.  The usual stuff, yapping dogs chasing the ball on the pitch, dreadful misses and lager louts stalking the sidelines.  Thankfully they'll be be shown after the watershed.   Set your videos !

The Clifton players celebrate what turned out to be the winning goal.


Sportspy 2004/05

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.