Sportspy Reports – February 13th 2005

Sportspy Reports from Blackpool Road, St Annes.
Division 2 Cup Quarter Final Cup action featuring Marton Institute (2B) versus the Dunes (2A) and Chequers (2A) versus the Gasworkers Club (2B)


                                                                                             Music ? Click here

After the games were collectively called off at Commonedge Road only the kids playing Under 12’s Rugby remained – Shame on the Alliance players, even the juniors were out playing on Commonedge in the afternoon.  But to be fair, when the decision  was made to call off the games the weather was at its worst with very high winds, sleet and snow.

At Blackpool Road, St Annes the two Cup games went ahead as planned.  The pitches were fine but the weather was pretty abysmal.

Referee Trevor Eagle, he’d wanted to call the game off due to the high winds but the players cajoled him into playing.

I just got there in time to see Mark Mottram fire Marton Institute ahead from the penalty spot.  Marton, playing against the wind started the game brilliantly and minutes later Mottram scored a second.  After a good passing move the ball fell to Mottram in the box, he moved the ball on to his left foot and struck it fiercely into the bottom left hand corner.  Marton had reached today’s Quarter Finals after beating Wyre Villa (2B) in Round 1 and Claremont Cons (2A) in Round 2.

On 17 minutes the Dunes pulled one back with a great goal.  A ball over the top fell to young Ben McKay and he hit a first time dipping half volley that gave the Marton keeper no chance.   To reach the last eight the Dunes have had to overcome ACR FC (2A) in Round 1 and Pearson Estates (2B) in Round 2.

Marton’s Mark Mottram.

Five minutes later Marton extended their lead to 3-1.  This time Paul Carroll was on the end of a cross and his first time left footed strike flew past the keeper making manager and linesman Gary Potter a happy man.

Then it was the Dunes turn to get a penalty.  There was something of a delay whilst the players and referee tried to get the ball to stay on the spot but eventually Mark Webster, without any help, slotted the ball home to the keeper’s left.  Shortly before half time the Dunes equalised through Ben McKay making the half time score 3-3.

The Dunes came very stong in the second half.  Firstly Danny Whiteside, unmarked at the far post, made it 4-3 and not long after Chris Nay made it 5-3.  In-form Dunes then put the game beyond doubt with a long range effort from Mark Taylor.  The wind had changed direction in the second half slightly favouring the Dunes and the ball whistled past the Marton keeper with the help of a deflection.  Further goals from Ben McKay and Jamie Nay for the Dunes with a consolation goal from Carroll for Marton made the final score 8-4 to the Dunes.  Good luck to Jimmy Drinkwater and his team in the semi finals.   Eleven wins from the last twelve in all competitions make the Dunes favourites to pull off third place in Division 2A.

In the other Division 2 Cup Quarter Final played in St Annes today Chequers (2A) took on one of 2B’s promotion favourites the Gasworkers Club FC.  The Chequers had reached the last eight after two exciting games in the earlier rounds.  In Round 1 they initially drew 6-6 with Great Eccleston (2A) before beating them 5-4 in the replay and in Round 2 they beat Dudley Industries (2B) by the same score-line.  Chequers started well against the wind and Johnny Turnbull gave the Warton the team a 1-0 lead.

The Chequers keeper pulled off some great stops to keep the Gasworkers at bay.  His best save was a push around the post for a corner but from the resulting flag kick the Fleetwood outfit equalised through Anthony Hadgraft on thirty minutes.  His shot from the edge of the box gave the keeper no hope.  Give that linesman a medal.

Chequers less than a second away from conceding the equaliser.

Just before half time prolific scorer David Poole put the Gasworkers ahead and that’s how it ended up going into the half time interval.  Not long into the second half the Chequers equalised through Gary Schwandt and with the wind favouring them more and more were pushing hard for a third.

Any possibility of a major cup upset was ended when David Poole took control late in the game.  Firstly, he battled his way into the box and placed a shot past the Chequers keeper into the teeth of the gale.  Late on he popped up to score a couple more as the Gasworkers finally made it through to the semis in this tricky tie against a spirited Chequers side who played well in the windy conditions.  Final score :  Chequers 2:5 Gasworkers Club FC. Good luck also to Paul Perkes and Gasworkers FC in the semi final where they’ll meet the Dunes.

The Gasworker’s David Poole with a four goal haul today.


                      Sportspy 2004/05


0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.