Sportspy Reports – Gledhill Quarter Finals – December 12th 2004

The Reform Health Club FC and Quilligans FC triumph in the two Gledhill Quarter Finals played at Broadwaters.  The two teams will now face each other in the semi final.  News and photo's from both matches.

                                                                                                     Music ? Click here                                    

2B's Gasworkers FC.  In no particular order ; Mark Smith (Keeper), Neil Hargreaves, Paul Jones, Anthony Hadgraft, James Reeves, Danny Scott, Kevin Perkes, Liam Gardner, Glen Taylor, Dave Poole, Stuart Geddes, Dean Cheeseman, Kal Bookes.  Manager Paul Perkes pictured back row fourth from left.

Reform Health Club FC again in no order ; Dave Stevenson (Keeper), Michael Kennerley, Leon Pritchard, Dave Burnett, Andy Gilmour, Nigel Marlow, Nick Pugh, Mark Hayes, John Lowes, Paul Cook, Scott Waters, Simon Rollinson, Danny Savage, Takemoito Suzuki and Ian Dawson.  Manager Dean Whitehouse pictured back row fourth from the left.  Apologies for poor quality picture.

Today's referee was originally listed as Gary Taylor.  Whoever it was he had an excellent game.  Update :  The referee was in fact Colin Brownsell who co-incidentally officiates in Ryman League 2 along with my brother in the Hertfordhire FA hence the badge.  No idea what he was doing up in this neck of the woods but very good of him to ref .

“One for the ladies”,  The Reform's Nigel Marlow.  After being pictured in Friday night's Gazette as the recent male winner of Brannigan's 'Studs 'n' Stunners' competition he capped off a week to remember with a very creditable performance at centre half.  I'm thankfully far too old ever to go in Brannigans again.  Doesn't look as though I'm missing much.

I watched all of the first half and the last ten minutes of this game.  Reform without suspended skipper Mark Hayes started the brighter and just about shaded the first 45 minutes which ended 0-0.  The Gasworkers struggled to get going and found it difficult to adapt to Reforms 5-3-2 formation especially in midfield where John Lowes was largely controlling the play.  At the back Marlow, Gilmour and Burnett were keeping prolific Gasworker's strikers Poole and Geddes pretty much under wraps.  At the other end the pace of Reform's strikers was causing a few problems for the Gasworkers defenders.  The first half was a geat advert for the Alliance with chances at either end with the Ref also having a fine game.

Reform Health Club FC defend a free kick.

Whilst watching the other game  I heard a loud cheer and turned around to see that Reform had taken the lead.  On sixty minutes substitute Parry-Jones crossed for top scorer Scott Waters to make no mistake from the header.  0:1.  I went back to watch the last ten minutes and saw Reform extend the lead on 80 minutes.  Once again Parry-Jones was involved.  Full of composure he waited for the midfield to join the play and coolly laid it off for Michael Kennerly.  He took his time taking it around the last defender before getting off a weak shot that found the back of the net when Gasworker's keeper Smith perhaps should have done better.  0:2

Reform Health Club players celebrate the scoring of their second goal.

On 85 minutes the Gasworkers pulled one back from the spot.  The referee, perfectly placed, gave it for shirt pulling.  Stuart Geddes lashed the ball past Stevenson sending him the wrong way (Pictured above).  This made for a nervous last five minutes for Reform but they played the game out well and more than deserved their victory today and their place in the semi-final.  This is what they're capable of when everything comes together.  The Gasworkers will no doubt be disappointed but I'm sure manager Paul Perkes would not begrudge opponents Reform their win.

Reform Health Club FC goal scorers Michael Kennerley (Left) and Scott Waters.

In the other Quarter Final played at Broadwaters The Ship, Fleetwood (2B) took on the Premier Division leaders Quilligans.  You can read a full report and see more pictures on the Quilligan's website later.  Here are few photo's that I took during the game.

Referee Tony Zak moves back the Ship wall.

Quilligan's FC midfielder Micky Horsfall

I watched the last five minutes of the first half and then then 40 minutes of the second half in this one.  The Ship finished the first half the stronger high on confidence after recently equalising.  The half finishing all square at 1-1.  Not long into the second half Quilligans took the lead.  A deep free kick was flung over and the Ship defence went to sleep allowing centre half Dave Butler to ghost in unmarked at the far post to power in a classic downward header.  1:2  Almost immediately Quilligans went further ahead.  A ball was played into the right channel for Bracewell and he took the ball on well and fired home from a difficult angle.  A great goal considering the state of the pitch.  1:3

Quilligan's Dave Butler scorer of his team's second goal.


………and quickly back on his feet once more.  Good to see Butler back from injury playing for Quilligans and Blackpool Mechanics again.

Quilligan's striker Paul Simpson finds himself closely marked by a Ship defender.

The Ship didn't give up and reduced the deficit from a direct free kick that flew in the top corner.  A classic strike.  Shortly after they had a good chance to make it 3-3 but couldn't take it.  They were punished when Quilligans made it 4-2.  A typical burst through the middle from Horsfall resulted in a cross into the box.  The Ship keeper miss-kicked his clearance and the ball fell invitingly back to Horsfall.  When it looked as though he'd smash the ball home he drew the defender then squared it unselfishly for Simpson who made no mistake.  Any other player in the Alliance would have probably gone for goal but Horsfall showed his class and quality at such a crucial point of the match.  2:4.  With the game all but over it was back to the Reform match.  Quilligans scored two more late on to make it 2:6 and they march on to the semis.  Well done to Quilligans, it was far from easy.  A creditable effort nonetheless by the Ship who's great season continues.

Referee Zak turns a blind eye to the Ship defender giving Quilligan's centre half Simon Garrick a big cuddle.

It's all over as Garrick returns the compliment, handshakes all round in the Ship versus Quilligans tie.

Reform Health Club manager Dean Whitehouse (Black top) gives his team a well deserved pat on the back at the end of the game.  They're already looking forward to the semi final against Quilligans. Congratulations also to Poulton SFC who overcame the Dunes and Red Rose Catering FC who beat Castle Gardens.  Another great semi final to look forward to early in the new year.

                                                                Sportspy 2004/05

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.